Santander 123 credit card portal can't accept 2 different bank debit cards?

Hi Guys,

I am astouded that they can't accept 2 cards to pay from. One is a yorkshire bank mastercard debit card and the other is a first direct visa debit card.

They seem to even completely amiss a mastercard debit card from the drop down list and put solo and maestro as two separate things??

I simply do not know what to say, it didn't even bring up the securecode /visa equivalent and just said it was incorrect information, and that it looked like it wanted to add an issue number in there.

Anyone else had issues with them? the fact that a BANK seems to know less about the payment system than me is very concerning.

Never had an issue with MBNA, American Express or Capital one...maybe they didn't test anything outside of their own santander debit cards?

Replies

• meer53meer53 Forumite
    10.2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Solo and Maestro are completely separate cards. As are Visa Debit and Mastercard Debit. If theres no Mastercard debit to tick, just use Visa Debit ?
  • edited 30 October 2014 at 10:16AM
    phonaphona Forumite
    249 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts
    Forumite
    edited 30 October 2014 at 10:16AM
    You could just skip debit card processing issues and transfer the money by faster payment from your online banking. I pay my Santander CC from my Clydesdale account (which has a Mastercard debit) with no issue using FPS, and it's quicker anyway.
  • meer53 wrote: »
    Solo and Maestro are completely separate cards. As are Visa Debit and Mastercard Debit. If theres no Mastercard debit to tick, just use Visa Debit ?

The first direct debit card didn't work though? And it surely makes more sense for me to try and use Maestro for mastercard debit card than visa debit.

To me it feels like it isn't even trying to connect to the payment system, it is just stuck at the validation.

phona wrote: »
    You could just skip debit card processing issues and transfer the money by faster payment from your online banking. I pay my Santander CC from my Clydesdale account (which has a Mastercard debit) with no issue using FPS, and it's quicker anyway.

The problem with that is that this is really for my mum and she doesn't have online banking and also the reason I don't fancy doing it is because if I make a single digit error, it is a lot of messing about later. The whole point of me doing a debit card payment is its always correct. Like I said only this donkey of a company can't do this right and the fact they are a bank is laughable.
  • If the various payment methods on offer don't suit you/your mum, there are dozens of other credit cards that might suit better.

As to getting things wrong when paying by FP: make your first payment for just £1. Once it has arrived successfully, you can reliably re-use the payee as the details will be stored in your list of payees.
  • Well really all I wanted to know whether anyone else had any similar issues with these guys before but seemingly I am the only one or people have just put up with it.

As I am simply amazed that it hasn't been tested properly.
  • edited 30 October 2014 at 2:52PM
    meer53meer53 Forumite
    10.2K Posts
    edited 30 October 2014 at 2:52PM
    As Maestro is a completely different card to Visa/Mastercard Debit, the system will recocgnise that you're not inputting a valid debit card number so will reject it. Select Visa debit and it will work. Very few banks issue Maestro cards anymore.

Saying you're using a Maestro card and inputting a Visa Debit number is never going to work.
  • edited 30 October 2014 at 4:04PM
    shadowdoggshadowdogg Forumite
    46 Posts
    Newshound!
    edited 30 October 2014 at 4:04PM
    meer53 wrote: »
    As Maestro is a completely different card to Visa/Mastercard Debit, the system will recocgnise that you're not inputting a valid debit card number so will reject it. Select Visa debit and it will work. Very few banks issue Maestro cards anymore.

Saying you're using a Maestro card and inputting a Visa Debit number is never going to work.

I never said that. I said I tried using even my visa debit card and it didn't work when I selected it.

Originally, I tried to use my mums mastercard debit card using maestro from the drop down list as there wasn't any other suitable option for it.
  • meer53meer53 Forumite
    10.2K Posts
    shadowdogg wrote: »
    I never said that. I said I tried using even my visa debit card and it didn't work when I selected it.

Originally, I tried to use my mums mastercard debit card using maestro from the drop down list as there wasn't any other suitable option for it.

There must be something you're doing wrong as no-one else has reported having this issue. I use my first direct debit card to pay lots of bills online, credit cards included.
  • meer53 wrote: »
    There must be something you're doing wrong as no-one else has reported having this issue. I use my first direct debit card to pay lots of bills online, credit cards included.

So you have paid for it using your first direct debit card on precisely THIS credit card? As I have had no issue before with my card either. That's the whole point really.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 in bonus points

MSE News

Ask an Expert: Scams

Watch MSE Katie's answers to your questions

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals