Getting a loan I don't need to improve credit score

My credit score is quite low, mainly because I've never needed to borrow money. I've had a credit card for the last 18 months purely to try and get a credit rating, so hopefully that will help somewhat.

However, I would like to buy a house a few years down the line and therefore I want to be a good candidate for a mortgage. I was thinking of getting a loan (that I don't need) just to prove I can pay it back. But I don't know at what point it actually looks bad to have too many loans/credit cards and I'm worried it could work against me. Is there any sort of correct balance on the number of loans/credit cards I should have to get a good rating?

Replies

• I don't think you need a loan. I am 19 and a year ago my credit rating was awful. A year on and its really good now. I started of with a credit card which was a Vanquis credit card. Only had a £250 limit and the interest was 39%. I had that for over 8 months and also had a phone contract. A couple of months ago I was accepted for a Tesco credit card which had a £1100 limit.

I don't think getting a loan out will do to much. Just keep up to date with the credit card payments. Setup a direct debit if you haven't got one yet.

My advise is just to keep saving and keep the credit card.
  • Stick with the card. You don't need to pay interest to improve your credit file.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 this Saturday

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals