🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Air purifier 24/7?

Options
We just have a newborn and we decide to buy an air purifier to keep our house clean and fresh. But how much does it cost monthly if we let it on 24/7? We don't want to have a shocking bill tbh:eek:

Comments

• matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It will have a rating plate saying how many watts it consumes - at a guess it could be anything between 20-40watts, which will consume about half to one kwh per day.
    At 15p per kwh = 7.5-15p per day = £27-£54 per year
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • ColinFishwick
    Options
    I cant imagine it would costs a lot to run

odd your profile says 0 posts and yet you have posted before and had at least one post removed.

• CashStrapped
    CashStrapped Posts: 1,294 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My question would be why you want to run an air purifier 24/7, what kind of benifit do you think it will bring?

Unless you live on a building site, or the air quality is really that bad, an air purifier is unlikely to "protect" your child in any meaningful way, or to the extent you think it will. An air purifier will not prevent viruses and bacteria. A lot of the claims they make is a lotof marketing tripe.... uv filters, HEPA etc.

You are best off airing the house(fresh air), boil wash sheets and using dust mite covers if you are concerned about dust allergies.

read: http://www.allergyconsumerreview.com/do-air-purifiers-really-work.html

Yes, there are applications where they are useful, but running one 24/7 is likley to be pointless. The noise will probably end up annoying you as you will have to have it on full power to move enough air in the house and you will have to keep all the doors open internally.

The latest science says that a healthy exposure to germs and bacteria is far more benificial to newborns rather than trying to bring them up in a sterile enviroment.
  • sk240
    sk240 Posts: 474 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Why would you want to do such a thing? in fact a little bit of dirt does a world of good in building up their immune system.
    Its because of all this everything has to be clean rubbish that has given everyone's kids all these allergies etc.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'd agree with the comments that it's not necessary to purify or filter the air unless there is a specific reason for it.

Living in a dust free. artificially clean environment will just make you or your child more susceptible to everday pollution as soon as you or he steps outside the house. You could end up causing him a lot of problems in the future

I worked in a "clean room" with filtered and dehumidified air for a period of time and all it did was give me hay fever when I went outside - I now have to take anti-histamines everyday to stop my eyes watering and to reduce my sneezing, something I never had to do.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    edited 27 October 2014 at 2:52PM
    Options
    Only a few months to go until your newborn will be putting everything he/she can grasp, or dig his/her fingers into! straight into their mouth!
  • netwizzy
    netwizzy Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    i would have to disagree with what some people are saying here. personally, i live on a busy street, so if i leave my windows open, there will be a lot of dust and pollution that gets into my home. if i had a newborn, i absolutely do NOT think it's good to breathe in all that pollution. sure if you live in a nice suburbs somewhere, you won't need an air purifier, but people who live in the middle of a large busy city should think twice.

with that said, if you're worried about large electricity bills, i would suggest you get a smaller air purifier to help clean the air. most of the air purifiers i have seen from brand such as honeywell or coway use between 60 to 120 watts, which would put the monthly cost to anywhere from about 10 to 15 USD to run 24/7. there's only one brand i've seen that uses waaay fewer watts, which is clair, which uses something like 3 watts or less. that will make it cost only a few cents per month to operate.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    netwizzy wrote: »
    most of the air purifiers i have seen from brand such as honeywell or coway use between 60 to 120 watts, which would put the monthly cost to anywhere from about 10 to 15 USD to run 24/7.

Well I don't know where in the USA you live, and thus what you pay for electricity. Or is the 10 to 15 US$ a month?

However in UK a 60 watt device left running 24/7 will consume 525kWh pa and cost around £70 pa. Obviously a 120 watt device will cost double.
  • valkyr
    Options
    sk240 wrote: »
    Why would you want to do such a thing? in fact a little bit of dirt does a world of good in building up their immune system.
    Its because of all this everything has to be clean rubbish that has given everyone's kids all these allergies etc.

I don't know whether if you get through this stage or not, but believe me, everyone wants his child in pristine condition.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport