A good gaming 27" monitor?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Gaming MoneySaving
11 replies 1.2K views
Rob1878Rob1878 Forumite
49 Posts
Sixth Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Gaming MoneySaving
Hi

Could anyone recommend a good gaming monitor that is 27" in size? Thanks.

Replies

• what is your budget?

The BenQ XL2720Z LED Gaming Monitor is a great choice but it is rather expensive
  • edited 26 October 2014 at 5:26PM
    Rob1878Rob1878 Forumite
    49 Posts
    edited 26 October 2014 at 5:26PM
    I would say about £300. I notice the BenQ XL2720Z is £350 so that is a possibility at a push. Thanks.

I also noticed that there are ACers and Phillips monitors at around the £180 mark and seem to have decent specs.
  • Johnmcl7Johnmcl7 Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    What spec is the PC you're wanting to connect it to?
  • Rob1878Rob1878 Forumite
    49 Posts
    Johnmcl7 wrote: »
    What spec is the PC you're wanting to connect it to?

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.1GHz, Memory: 8192MB RAM, Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770
  • matmidgleymatmidgley Forumite
    143 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    U can get a 27" 1440p screen imported from south Korea for around 225. I have one myself it's a great screen. Qnix qx2710 evolution ii if you want to Google it. Its a Samsung pls screen and can be overlooked to 120Hz
  • PenguinJimPenguinJim Forumite
    844 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I recommend a Korean import as well, but with two caveats: it's rare to find one that overclocks to 120Hz any more, so don't buy for that reason; and don't just find one and buy one. It's well worth doing hours of research to know exactly which model is best for you, what you get with which brands, what problems you may encounter and how to fix them, and even the typical import fees you'll get charged if you end up dealing with shysters like Parcelforce.

If you can invest half-a-dozen hours into researching this topic, then go for it, and also consider a 30" 2560x1600 monitor - proper 16:10 aspect ratio (far superior to 16:9 unless you're mostly watching 16:9 TV and movies - in which case just get a TV!) and they had a big price reduction recently, possibly as low as £250-260 delivered.

Otherwise, just get a brand monitor locally. For example, the K272HUL reviews well and is ~£320.

Note that 27" monitors for £180 are probably going to be 1080P, which means pixels as big as your fist. You would be far better off with a 24" 1900x1200 screen like the Dell U2412M at under £200. You'll want 1440P at 27" and 1600P at 30".
    Q: What kind of discussions aren't allowed?
    A: It goes without saying that this site's about MoneySaving.

Q: Why are some Board Guides sometimes unpleasant?
    A: We very much hope this isn't the case. But if it is, please make sure you report this, as you would any other forum user's posts, to [email protected].
  • edited 27 October 2014 at 7:15PM
    Rob1878Rob1878 Forumite
    49 Posts
    edited 27 October 2014 at 7:15PM
    Thanks for all the replies, nice to find a knowledgeable forum. OK my main reason for thinking of changing my monitor is to improve my gaming experience. Nothing wrong my current monitor apart from the fact that it has one dead pixel in the centre of the screen (no biggie). Looking at the specs of my current monitor compared to say, for example, the BenQ previously mentioned (which does get good reviews) there is not a great deal of difference between the two apart from one is 3" bigger and the BenQ has a faster refresh rate.
    All of which is making it hard for me to justify a purchase.

Current monitor LG W2442PE
    • Screen size (inches) 24
    • Panel Type (TN, IPS) TN
    • Aspect Ratio 16:9
    • Resolution 1920 x 1080
    • Contrast 10,000: 1
    • Brightness (cd/m2) 300
    • Response Time (ms) 5
    • Viewing Angle (°) 170/160 (CR>10)
    • Color Depth (Num of Colors) 16.7M
    BenQ XL2720Z
    • Screen size (inches) 27
    • Panel Type (TN, IPS) TN
    • Aspect Ratio 16:9
    • Resolution 1920 x 1080
    • Contrast 1000:1
    • Brightness (cd/m2) 300
    • Response Time (ms) 1
    • Viewing Angle (°) 170/160
    • Color Depth (Num of Colors) 16.7M
  • Rob1878Rob1878 Forumite
    49 Posts
    To the guys that suggested Korean monitors, are they made in Korea or shipped from Korea? Forgive my ignorance.
  • PenguinJimPenguinJim Forumite
    844 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    We're referring specifically to models that cannot be bought locally and must be shipped from Korea.

(As opposed to, for example, LG or Samsung monitors, which are Korean but can be bought locally)

Qnix is a good example of the type. Plenty of threads for you to read at https://www.google.com if you want to research further.

Those BenQ stats you listed have it at 1080P - ignore that one. A 30" 2560x1600 Korean screen could be a great upgrade for you within your budget, I think - but do your research first. (And get a "Perfect Pixel" model)
    Q: What kind of discussions aren't allowed?
    A: It goes without saying that this site's about MoneySaving.

Q: Why are some Board Guides sometimes unpleasant?
    A: We very much hope this isn't the case. But if it is, please make sure you report this, as you would any other forum user's posts, to [email protected].
  • Why are you wanting to buy a 1920 x 1080 monitor? Unless you are hanging it on the wall far further back than the depth of desk it will be a bit poor. If you only want that resolution buy 22" or smaller. If you want a 27" monitor to place on a desk you'll have to pay a higher bracket for the higher resolution. Plus your graphics card has to handle it.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals