Warm Home help with winter bill

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 25 October 2014 at 7:30PM in Disability money matters
My neighbour asked me to look at a form for her for Warm Home allowance with her heating bill this winter. I thought it would be easy but I'm a bit unsure. She is in her sixties (I think) and is really quite deaf, even with her hearing aids, so conversation can be quite difficult. Her heating bill is as much as 50% more than mine - but I am out a lot.

Her gross income is about £13,800 and, as well as this, she receives DLA of about £3,700 - no other income.

The form talks about 'broader group' and has two parts. She's left it with me to find out. Part 1 says gross annual household income before tax and deductions of less than £16,190 and at least one qualifying component in part 2. (It's the and that I'm not sure about.)

Does this mean her £13,800 and her DLA in Part 2 added to it to make the total gross amount for the top box (it would be about £17,500) - or is it her 'gross income' in the top box of £13,800 then the DLA in the second box not added on to it?

I wasn't sure to ask here under 'disability' or if it would be better to ask under 'energy.' If this is not the right place could it just be moved, please?

If her gross income before tax is added to her DLA I don't think she can qualify.

I remember from a very elderly relative that his Attendance Allowance didn't count - but maybe DLA does.

If it is just the top box about £13,800 and the second box with DLA does not get added to it she might be OK.

If anyone with experience of this can help - thank you.

Crimson

Comments

• Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    DLA doesn't count as income. They may ask for it as proof of entitlement to the schemes; but it's not income.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    Indie_Kid wrote: »
    DLA doesn't count as income. They may ask for it as proof of entitlement to the schemes; but it's not income.

DLA does not count as income for most purposes. However the criteria for the WHD broader group is set by individual utility suppliers, so Crimson you'll need to ask your neighbour's supplier (npower, Scottish Power etc) for a definitive answer ;)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Indie_Kid wrote: »

Thank you Indie Kid - I'd be really pleased if she qualified for the help.

Crimson
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 25 October 2014 at 7:57PM
    Options
    tomtontom wrote: »
    DLA does not count as income for most purposes. However the criteria for the WHD broader group is set by individual utility suppliers, so Crimson you'll need to ask your neighbour's supplier (npower, Scottish Power etc) for a definitive answer ;)

Thanks very much tomtontom - If she would like me to I can phone for her because she finds the 'phone difficult. I hope she qualifies - I was surprised her bills were so much more than mine but, again, I'm out a lot.

Crimson
  • anmarj
    anmarj Posts: 1,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    DLA is not a taxable benefit, so to me it would not go in the top box.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure