Do different surnames matter?

Options
Quick question, does having accounts in different names, (married and maiden) affect your credit score/ worthiness? It's such a pain to change everything but if makes a difference I will.

Comments

• usefulmale
    usefulmale Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    Options
    Emmzy01 wrote: »
    Quick question, does having accounts in different names, (married and maiden) affect your credit score/ worthiness? It's such a pain to change everything but if makes a difference I will.

Please don't let your life revolve around a pointless "credit score".
  • Hazzinho
    Hazzinho Posts: 742 Forumite
    Options
    If you change accounts to another name it links them, if you don't and apply in just your new name the rest of your credit won't appear so it would impact the lending decision.
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,906 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    it will always create a link when you apply for new, as it asks for previous names this will then create an alias
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • Hazzinho
    Hazzinho Posts: 742 Forumite
    Options
    chanz4 wrote: »
    it will always create a link when you apply for new, as it asks for previous names this will then create an alias

As I just mentioned if they don't specify past names it would impact the lending decision, links are only created by changing account details be it addresses or names.
  • notanewuser
    notanewuser Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Options
    I didn't change my name when I married, but I don't understand why - if you've decided to change your name - you wouldn't change IT everywhere (professional reasons exempted).
    Trying to be a man is a waste of a woman
  • SuperHan
    SuperHan Posts: 2,269 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I didn't change my name when I married, but I don't understand why - if you've decided to change your name - you wouldn't change IT everywhere (professional reasons exempted).

Because it's a bit of a faff when you have 7+ current accounts plus credit cards, already ongoing finance agreements... Also, if you ever get a cheque in your maiden name, it's more difficult to cash where all your accounts are in your new name.

I'm getting married next year, I'll change my name, and change all of my main accounts that I regularly use, but I will leave some in my maiden name too, to save days of traipsing into a number of banks with a wedding certificate to change my name.
  • notanewuser
    notanewuser Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Options
    I thought my having 4 current accounts was excessive, but 7+?!!!

I get cheques written in my "married" name fairly often (elderly relatives that don't "get" that I don't ever use it) but just ask them to change it. Hasn't been an issue for over 10 years.
    Trying to be a man is a waste of a woman
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I thought my having 4 current accounts was excessive, but 7+?!!!

Excessive? Who defines the acceptable number?

I have over 20 at present (all in the same name), and for very good reason. It doesn't affect my creditworthiness in a negative way.

OP, you might find this article helpful: http://www.experian.com/credit-advice/topic-credit-and-marriage.html
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure