PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Crab apples and what to do with them.

Options
My DH has just rung me and told me he's bringing a big bag of crab apples home. Does anyone know what can be made from them? I've heard of crab apple jelly - can it be eaten like jam on toast or is it used as an accompaniment to a meal (like apple sauce with pork?)

Comments

• lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Justamum wrote: »
    My DH has just rung me and told me he's bringing a big bag of crab apples home. Does anyone know what can be made from them? I've heard of crab apple jelly - can it be eaten like jam on toast or is it used as an accompaniment to a meal (like apple sauce with pork?)

For toast.....its one of the best there is. :). But you can do lots with it.

But you can do more with them, chutneys, you could turn them in to condiments for roasts indeed.

Might depend a bit on the crap apples. Some make such a beautiful pink colour jelly to do anything else with them is gilding the lily. Others Might be more fun to jazz up a little.

Lucky you! We planted a crab apple last planting season and it had one fruit this year:D.

In about five years hopefully we'll be up to our arm puts in crab apples.
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks. They're not as limited as I thought then :D Is it a bit tart on toast? He's just brought them round now and I should imagine there's enough for a few jars. They look fiddly to prepare though as they're really small! A jelly bag is going to be a definite necessity.
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,676 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You really don't need to prepare them much - just de-stalk them & cut off any really damaged bits, then cover with water & boil until soft. I do have a proper jelly bag, which hardly ever comes out of the cupboard, because it's easier just to tie them up in an old muslin square & hang them from the saucepan rack over my cooker; a clean old tea towel works too but a square is easier to tie.
    Angie - GC May 24 £253.52/£450: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You really don't need to prepare them much - just de-stalk them & cut off any really damaged bits, then cover with water & boil until soft. I do have a proper jelly bag, which hardly ever comes out of the cupboard, because it's easier just to tie them up in an old muslin square & hang them from the saucepan rack over my cooker; a clean old tea towel works too but a square is easier to tie.

An old pillow case is even better :)

When you leave it to drain, don't be tempted to squeeze the bag, but let it drip through by itself, it might take all day (or all night).

When you have your juice, measure it, and for each pint add 1 pound of sugar, put all in a large pan, stir to dissolve and boil till set. The easiest way to test it if you don't have a sugar thermometer is to put a few drops on a cold saucer - when it is done it will wrinkle when you push it with a finger. I still use this method. Crab apple is a good 'setter' and it probably won't take more than about 10 minutes boiling (though the time can vary)

It is lovely on toast, crumpets or scones, not at all sharp because of all that sugar :) It is also very nice with meat, especially pork or game.

Let us know how you get on - it gets very addictive this preserving lark :D
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sounds good. I have very hit and miss success with jam and marmalade. Sometimes it's too runny, sometimes it's perfect. The last time I made jam it looked perfect when I did the 'blob on a cold plate' test, but when it cooled in the jars it's rock solid and won't spread on toast!
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Sounds good. I have very hit and miss success with jam and marmalade. Sometimes it's too runny, sometimes it's perfect. The last time I made jam it looked perfect when I did the 'blob on a cold plate' test, but when it cooled in the jars it's rock solid and won't spread on toast!

Ok so if you over set your crab apple jelly boil it down further and turn it into fruit 'cheese' like membrillo to have with cheese ( or cold meat). Your overset jam will probably make yummy jam tarts and fillings for cakes etc.
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,192 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I've made quite a lot of crab apple jelly in the last week and still have a carrier bag of apples to use up.

I put them in a saucepan, just cover with water then boil for 30 minutes. Leave straining as long as possible. (Sometimes not convenient to leave overnight but several hours seems fine).

Then I weigh the liquid and use 7 parts sugar to 10 parts apple juice (e.g 700 grams sugar to 1000g apple) and boil hard for 30 minutes or so.

I had some left over (ran out of jars) and I keep having a teaspoonful as I walk by!
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options

I had this trouble with one batch of blackberry jam - I couldn't get it out of the jar! Honestly, you could have 'tarmacked' the road with it!:rotfl:
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Might be an idea to invest in a sugar thermometer then if you intend to make preserves regularly :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure