Replacing faulty goods with refirbished ones

Options
My Mum's Kindle fire has failed just short of 10 months. Amazon have replaced it today with a refirbed one which is also faulty. Are Companies allowed to replace faulty goods with '2nd hand' ones?

I am not finding any answers when trying to google the question.

Thanks.

Comments

• unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well technically, the one they replaced was 2nd hand, iyswim?

The replacement only needs to be like for like. That can include age and condition.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Handsome90
    Options
    Refurbished doesn't mean they are 2nd hand ones. These could have failed QC checks or returned within the returns policy. The refurbished kindles would have been checked and fixed so it is similar to buying a new one (like the battery life would be similar to a new device).
  • frugal_mike
    frugal_mike Posts: 1,687 Forumite
    Options
    But they aren't allowed to replace your mum's Kindle with one that is also faulty (whether second hand or not). What is wrong with the new one? What did Amazon say when you told them?
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Options
    All they have* to do is replace a 10-month-old faulty device with a (working) device that is no more than 10 months old. They could even have required the consumer prove that the fault was not user-caused (as it was more than 6 months since purchase).

* Unless there are express warranty terms that offer a new-for-old replacement. Warranty terms form part of the purchase contract.
  • InsideInsurance
    Options
    In certain areas its common practice to send someone out with a refurbished unit that you give the customer, you take away their unit and refurb it and it then goes out to the next person with a fault. Each customer gets a fully working replacement and doesnt have any break in service whilst theirs is taken back to be repaired, parts ordered and redelivered etc.

The fact the replacement is faulty is obviously the problem, the fact its refurb is broadly irrelevant
  • Weaver7
    Options
    Well Amazon are not budging. They will only send another refirbished one and they say I now only have a 90 day guarantee on it, and if I want a years guarantee I will have to purchase a new product!
  • stugib
    stugib Posts: 2,602 Forumite
    Options
    Weaver7 wrote: »
    Well Amazon are not budging. They will only send another refirbished one and they say I now only have a 90 day guarantee on it, and if I want a years guarantee I will have to purchase a new product!

The warranty period doesn't reset when you get a replacement, so you only had ~60 days warranty left on that.

Did you understand the rationale in the posts above? You won't get a new-for-old replacement, and even if you did it wouldn't have a full years warranty.
  • Weaver7
    Options
    Yes I understand the rationale, but It doesn't mean I have to agree with it. I also understand a product has to be fit for purpose and when something develops a fault within an unacceptable timeframe, I shouldn't as a consumer just have to accept that. We all know electrnics is a throw away market these days and judging by the amount of forums and comlaints about kindles, Amazon are not selling products fit for purpose.
  • Bantex_2
    Bantex_2 Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    Options
    Weaver7 wrote: »
    Yes I understand the rationale, but It doesn't mean I have to agree with it. I also understand a product has to be fit for purpose and when something develops a fault within an unacceptable timeframe, I shouldn't as a consumer just have to accept that. We all know electrnics is a throw away market these days and judging by the amount of forums and comlaints about kindles, Amazon are not selling products fit for purpose.
    My Kindle has been fine.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do you understand that the warranty offered is in addition to your rights under the Sale of Goods Act? It seems you are getting the two mixed up. Even after the warranty has expired you can still expect resolution for a faulty product under SOGA, but you'll probably need to prove that the fault was inherent and not caused by misuse.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure