I lent out my railcard and got fined. Who should pay?

Options

Comments

• Augustus_the_Strong
    Options
    Tough luck - you've done something stupid, so now you pay the price.
  • pricew1970
    pricew1970 Posts: 1,061 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ignoring the lending out of your railcard..I am surprised you have been fined.

My rail pass allows me up to four occasions a year where if I forget my pass and buy a ticket I can then claim the money back...see your local station for the form.

I have only had to do this once in five years luckily.
  • pricew1970
    pricew1970 Posts: 1,061 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    callum9999 wrote: »
    That's incredibly harsh...

They acted fraudulently with their railcard so deserve a fine regardless, but forgetting something doesn't make you stupid. Everyone has forgotten something they needed at some point in their life.

You're amazed that you aren't on a board with a bunch of criminals!? The pass isn't the posters pass to give out to anyone - it's the equivalent of stealing something from Tesco as a favour to a friend...

And it's not "holier than thou". I, and everyone else criticising, have done something wrong before. However, if I get caught breaking the law then I will accept the punishment and move on instead of bleating about how unfair life is. A more apt saying is "if you can't do the time, don't do the cri

You probably should forget that "fact" because it blatantly isn't true... What exactly did MPs, ministers, the Prime Minister and the banks steal from you today? I'm willing to bet a large sum of money that the answer is "nothing". Having an irrational, knee-jerk and ignorant hatred of a group of people doesn't give you permission to slander them.

What's especially funny is the fact (a real fact this time) that you are the one condoning and encouraging fraud, not those evil politicians.

I suggest that with your Daily Mail attitude you should head over to the benefits forum..plenty 'crims' on there for you to preach at :rotfl:
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Indie_Kid wrote: »
    The T&Cs state the pass is non transferrable.

Surprised that not all railcards require photos.
    Depends what pass it is, i think the tram passes here are possibly transferable.

I'm buying my bf a daysaver ticket on saturday and will use it myself before giving it to him, i do have a bus pass but figured i'd save the local authority paying for the trip seeing as i will have a valid ticket anyway.

What kind of pass did the OP use? The only railcard i can think of without the persons picture is a disabled one, unless they mean season ticket.

Personally i'm not that morally outraged...
  • callum9999
    callum9999 Posts: 4,392 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    pricew1970 wrote: »
    I suggest that with your Daily Mail attitude you should head over to the benefits forum..plenty 'crims' on there for you to preach at :rotfl:

You seem more like the Daily Mail type to me, with your baseless accusations.

I specifically said "we all do wrong things at some point" - how on Earth did you get "Daily Mail attitude" from that? And where does your rubbish about benefits come from? Unless you're suggesting everyone on benefits are criminals?

Newsflash - thinking people who break the law should accept their punishment and move on is not a "Daily Mail" attitude, it's a "decent person" attitude.
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    Not getting into the whole fraudulent thing, I think everyone has lent a friend their travel card from time to time...You did your friend a favour, your friend didn't hold up their side by returning your card...yeah you should have checked but they should have returned it.

If your friend was any kind of friend they would offer to pay the fine as they benefitted, didn't hold up their end of the agreement and the result was a fine.

I have never lent my Senior Railcard to anyone, nor would I, so 'everyone' hasn't done it.

The OP should pay and learn from the experience. However the friend was also willing to commit fraud, so they should pay half.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • SW17
    SW17 Posts: 859 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It's 2 separate issues to me. Assuming the "rail pass" is a season ticket, lending out a non-transferable ticket is fraud. Pricing of tickets (whatever we think of rail companies) is based on tickets being non-transferable, if everyone did this, prices would just have to go up massively to compensate.

Forgetting your season ticket, however, need not incur a fine. Depends on the rail operator and the ticket duration, but in most cases what you are supposed to do is buy a ticket and you can then claim it back with your season ticket as proof. Most train operators allow this a limited number of times.

"Morals" are of course subjective, but I strongly dislike fare-dodging, which is what the transfer of the pass amounted to. And no, I'm not a Daily Mail reader...
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It's completely different. Morally, at least.

With the car park you are paying for, say, two hours parking. When you do so, the car park company expects you to park there for two hours. If you don't use all of your two hours yourself why shouldn't you let someone else use it? It's like eating half a packet of crisps and giving away the other half. You shouldn't have to throw them away just because you're not going to eat them yourself.

With the train ticket it's a pass that allows as many journeys as one person will make. You could make journeys constantly all day, but you're not expected to. By sharing a ticket you are using that ticket for more than the journeys that one person will make. It would be like going to an "all you can eat" buffet, paying for one person, eating, swapping places with your friend and them eating. No reason why that should be allowed.

In my local council car park you pay £1 for 1 hour £2 for 2 hours, £3 for 3 hours and £4 for 24 hours. If someone is leaving the car park you can get their 3 hour ticket and pay £1 extra anday display both tickets and get 24 hours of paring for £1 because it looks like you have paid £4 in total. So the car park is loosing out!. You could then also buy a 24 hours ticket for £4 and pass this car to car until it expires and the council loose out on £20 if each car paid the hourly rate. This is the reason car parking tickets are non transferable.
    So actually it is just as morally wrong as the rail card.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Not forgetting the fact also that our MP's, ministers, PM etc and all the banks, etc are getting away with thieving from us on a daily basis and no one does anything about that do they? So why should this person pay a fine - our lot in power don't.

We gave £3BILLION to the banks who aren't even paying us back and they were in fault in the first place.

Getting off soap box now!

It's probably people like you who borrowed money you couldn't afford to pay back which caused the banking crisis because you take no responsibility for your actions and blame MP's, bankers etc for all your problems.

If you didn't blame other people for your failures you would do a lot better in life!.
  • meknowalot-51
    Options
    It was you that loaned out your railpass knowing it was wrong,so it's you that should pay the fine.As your flatmate failed to return it to you as agreed then i would say it's fair to ask him for some if not all the money.What if a lot more of us started to loan out our railpasses,then before too long half the trains will be full of people on freebies.If people like you didn't do this sort of thing then the railcompanies would be getting a lot more money from fare paying passengers and the increases in charges would be a lot less.All railcards/passes should have photo's of the owner on so this sort of thing can't happen.We have a "Two together" railcard valid for one year with our photo's on,great value with 30% off.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure