Oil to gas conversion -- UPDATED

Comments

• bingo_bango
    bingo_bango Posts: 2,594 Forumite
    Didn't even realise there was a difference, but if it helps, mine is a low pressure surface mounted box.

Oh, and check your PMs.
  • gerdo
    gerdo Posts: 185 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I had gas installed very recently. My oil boiler was 17 years old and very inefficient so had to be replaced. I could have gone with another oil boiler, which would have cost £2000+ or spend maybe £1000 more and get gas.

My oil bill is £1500+ per year. :eek: We have 3 teenagers in the house and during the summer months the electric shower is in constant use, along with the immersion heater.

So gas seemed a better choice as we get instant hot water throughout the year and will save on the electric bill as well.

Only time will tell if I made the right choice.
  • Possom
    Possom Posts: 433 Forumite
    For anyone here who changed to a gas combi and so didn't any longer require the copper hot water tank, what happened to your copper hot water tank afterwards?

Did the plumber 'kindly' remove it, or did you keep it and sell it? Presumably since it's copper it has some monetary value? If it does, is it best just to sell it on Gumtree or any other suggestions? Oh, and what are they worth?
  • Ticked
    Ticked Posts: 515 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    gerdo wrote: »
    I had gas installed very recently. My oil boiler was 17 years old and very inefficient so had to be replaced. I could have gone with another oil boiler, which would have cost £2000+ or spend maybe £1000 more and get gas.
    These prices for a change of oil boiler surprise me. I bought a top class Wocester/Bosche a year ago for £595, installed it in an hour and a half. Where do £2000 quotes come from?
  • Possom
    Ticked wrote: »
    These prices for a change of oil boiler surprise me. I bought a top class Wocester/Bosche a year ago for £595, installed it in an hour and a half. Where do £2000 quotes come from?
    Was the installer on the GasSafe register?

If so, please PM me their name so I can get a quote.

Cheers! :j
  • Ticked
    Possom wrote: »
    Was the installer on the GasSafe register?

If so, please PM me their name so I can get a quote.

Cheers! :j

It wasn't a gas boiler, it is oil. Wee buns to fit. £595 for the boiler, £20 for new connections and some fireclay and fake asbestos rope, 1 1/2 hours to fit and I'm not a plumber! How can £2000 be justified for an oil boiler change?
  • Ticked
    Possum, meant to add, our gas installations have all been done by a registered fitter, we use Jamisons Gas Centre in Lisburn for gas appliances and Darwin (a true gentleman) arranges fitting. Very nice people to deal with.
  • Possom
    Ticked wrote: »
    It wasn't a gas boiler, it is oil. Wee buns to fit. £595 for the boiler, £20 for new connections and some fireclay and fake asbestos rope, 1 1/2 hours to fit and I'm not a plumber! How can £2000 be justified for an oil boiler change?

One quote I've seen so far is charging £1000 for the labour, so by the time everything else is put on top of this...
  • Witless
    Witless Posts: 728 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Possom wrote: »
    For anyone here who changed to a gas combi and so didn't any longer require the copper hot water tank, what happened to your copper hot water tank afterwards?

Did the plumber 'kindly' remove it, or did you keep it and sell it? Presumably since it's copper it has some monetary value? If it does, is it best just to sell it on Gumtree or any other suggestions? Oh, and what are they worth?

About £3.00 per kilo, but it varies daily.

http://www.greengatemetals.co.uk/scrapmetal/prices/
  • Possom
    Witless wrote: »
    About £3.00 per kilo, but it varies daily.

http://www.greengatemetals.co.uk/scrapmetal/prices/

I've just seen one on Gumtree at £15, though according to the ad it's worth £60-£70. Don't know how accurate that is though...
    http://www.gumtree.com/p/house-clearance/full-size-copper-water-tank/1093450333
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure