subsidence

Options
hi
Hoping for some advice. I started shopping around for this years insurance and Aviva have told me that they cannot insure me because of subsidence. I have lived at my house for 7 years and have never had a problem and as far as I know there has never been a claim on my 1950's house. I live in a small road of 8 houses and I do not know if any one has claimed before but there have been no signs of builders at any of the houses. We do live on Clay but there are no cracks etc.

two questions why would aviva think this and do I just wait for my re newal from the Post Office and grab it, I am wary of any more quotes in case I get more refusals. also should the PO not re insure us what are my options

Comments

• huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,845 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I suspect that Aviva just have a record of subsidence to properties within your postcode area. Normally this would be atleast the first part plus number in the second part of the postcode e.g SL8, 2--. It does not mean your house has had subsidence in the past or that any of your neighbours has had a problem.

You do not need to mention Aviva not quoting because you have never made a claim for subsidence and as far as you are concerned your house has never had Subsidence.. You can just get quotes elsewhere without mentioning it. The companies that can quote will quote and you can decide who to take out a policy with. If you want to stay with the Post Office policy then you can do that also.

I think that you have just been worried but what has been said, but you should not be. Not all companies will provide insurance in every part of the country.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • paulrn_2
    paulrn_2 Posts: 158 Forumite
    Options
    many thanks it was a shock as it is the first time I have ever had a problem. I will try and resume my search
  • *Scarlett
    *Scarlett Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    Options
    A refusal at quote stage does not have to be declared so go ahead and get other quotes.

Insurers can decline cover for many reasons that have nothing to do with you personally eg if they have had a lot of claims on a certain risk in your area or it's a high flood risk.

Just answer the questions that they ask about subsidence truthfully and to the best of your knowledge.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure