MSE News: Regulator rejects our calls to reopen CPP redress scheme

Comments

• ADM34
    ADM34 Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My mother returned the paperwork approx a week prior to the last date for return in Aug, but has heard nothing yet. Is this normal, or should she have received an acknowledgement letter?
  • KCS1503
    KCS1503 Posts: 44 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    My wife submitted a claim to CPP in the last week of August (by normal post) and has so far heard nothing.

In hindsight it would have been all too easy with the cut-off looming to consign them to the incinerator....

Fingers crossed!
  • Moneyer
    Moneyer Posts: 114 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Out of interest, were the reclaim letters sent out recorded delivery? If not you'd expect a significant number would have been lost in the post, and CPP wouldn't be able to refute the claim of anybody who said they hadn't received it….
  • KCS1503
    KCS1503 Posts: 44 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Cheque for £263 arrived in the post today :j

ADM34 - hopefully your mother will get her response very soon.
  • Moneyer
    ChopperST wrote: »
    Again this is another MSE non story if someone can't take 5 minutes out to read a letter and fill in a form and place in the post using a pre-paid envelope.

That may be a fair point when applied to people who received the letters, but there must be many who didn't get them (e.g. because they're no longer with their card provider and have moved house in the interim).
  • KCS1503 wrote: »
    Cheque for £263 arrived in the post today :j

ADM34 - hopefully your mother will get her response very soon.

That's good news to my ears too, thank you!
    I sent mine in the last week of August, with recorded delivery, so fingers crossed there will be something through my letterbox soon as well. :)
  • Moneyer wrote: »
    Out of interest, were the reclaim letters sent out recorded delivery? If not you'd expect a significant number would have been lost in the post, and CPP wouldn't be able to refute the claim of anybody who said they hadn't received it….
    You're completely wrong there I'm afraid. What proportion of mail do you believe is actually lost by the Post Office? I assure you that it is definitely not a "significant number".
    Any complaint that letters were not received do not have to be refuted by CPP in the manner you suggest since the Regulator did not require the letters be sent Recorded Delivery in the first place.Recorded Delivery would have been a needless expense.
  • Moneyer wrote: »
    I'm afraid this is incorrect.

To persuade FOS - who would ultimately arbitrate on the redress scheme - you would need to persuade it that, in your particular case, it was more likely than not that it was lost before reaching you.

Whilst some letters undoubtedly get lost in the post, the fact remains that the vast majority arrive safely. So in any individual case the likelihood will be assumed to be that it DID arrive.
  • Moneyer
    You're completely wrong there I'm afraid. What proportion of mail do you believe is actually lost by the Post Office? I assure you that it is definitely not a "significant number".

Out of interest, do you have any evidence to support that? I've often wondered what the actual figures are. It seems from googling news stories that RM get something of the order of one complaint of loss per 1000 letters. But that's the complaints: I'd guess they're outnumbered many times over by cases where either the recipient wasn't expecting the mail so didn't realise it was lost, or (given the complicated complaints procedure and paltry levels of compensation) just didn't bother complain.

Over the last few years I've certainly had multiple letters go missing in the post. I've also on numerous occasions had my post put through neighbours' doors and vice versa: luckily on our street we take the trouble to sort it out, but others probably aren't so lucky.

Returning to the point of the thread, I do take your point about CPP not needing to refute, though - I'm sure you're right there, so thanks for putting me right on that one. :)
  • roonaldo
    roonaldo Posts: 3,420 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It's remarkable how many of these and the PPI letters get lost in the post.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure