Faulty product bought on credit card

New Post Advanced Search

Faulty product bought on credit card

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
3 replies 871 views
claptrapclaptrap Forumite
1 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
A while ago I remember reading something along the lines of, if it as been bought using a credit card, the credit card company is also liable for faulty products. I just want to know if this is true for my situation, please.

I bought an LED TV on a credit card nearly 3 years ago from Comet (which is why I can't go to them!) and still have the receipt. A few months ago a solid thin red vertical line appeared about 1 1/2 inches from the left side of the screen from top to bottom. Now and again it would disappear. Now another one has started to appear about 1/4 inch to the right of it.

I want to get this sorted before it gets worse. Is it repairable or should it be scrapped. It isn't 3 years old yet and I have read somewhere that with products such as this one, companies and expected to give you an expected 'reasonable' 6 years life span or fix/replace it.

Who should I get in touch with? LG or credit card? Or am I wrong with the information I have put in my post?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Replies

• statorstator Forumite
    7.4K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've helped Parliament
    ✭✭✭✭
    You are correct but it depends on the product, brand and price as to what is considered a reasonable amount of time you would expect the product to last.
    First thing is to check the paperwork for the TV and find how long the manufacturers warranty is. I suspect it is less than 3 years so you will probably have to claim against the CC company.
    Put it in writing, send off a letter and see what they say.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • grumblergrumbler Forumite
    54.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    MSE article: Consumer Rights Armour

If you think that you have a case against Comet and if they refuse to repair/replace, then you can sue either Comet, or your CC company (or both?). It's unlikely that the CC company pays you voluntarily after 3 years.

Another article: Section 75 refunds
    We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse. :(

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
    .definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
    should have, NOT should of
    .....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
  • grumbler wrote: »
    MSE article: Consumer Rights Armour

If you think that you have a case against Comet and if they refuse to repair/replace, then you can sue either Comet, or your CC company (or both?). It's unlikely that the CC company pays you voluntarily after 3 years.

Another article: Section 75 refunds

Comet no longer exists.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support