We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Call centre workers: spill the beans

Options

Comments

• geerex
    geerex Posts: 785 Forumite
    Options
    hollydays wrote: »
    How do you propose making everyone in the uk pass GCSE English??

I was being tongue-in-cheek.
    It should be mandatory for immigrants, pass the test or no entry.
  • no1catman
    no1catman Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Best time to call ? During 'office hours' tend to get more calls after 6.00 pm when people have got home from work, or during the weekend - when football matches are being played!!

Make sure when calling - you're calling the Tel No. for the right Depart., and make sure you have the appropriate 'card/account no available. And, if it is not in your name - don't scream and shout - 'but I'm ..... ' it isn't going to change the law.

Be clear what the problem is - it may be the organisation's fault, in which case they did to sort it, or it may be your fault - yes I know it's hard to believe, but it's better to know what to do from now on.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    geerex wrote: »
    Back to the UKIP Little England agenda are we? I wonder how that would go down if the same rule were applied to British people emigrating to countries such as France, Spain and Italy?
  • geerex
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Back to the UKIP Little England agenda are we? I wonder how that would go down if the same rule were applied to British people emigrating to countries such as France, Spain and Italy?

It's equally as rude on their part. It's not about immigration/emigration, it's about ignorance and lack of manners.
  • Money-Saving-King
    Options

To be honest if I ever wanted to emigrate to another country that doesn't speak English I would have expected them to make sure I have learnt their language if I wanted to live there as one of the conditions of getting in.
  • daytona0
    daytona0 Posts: 2,358 Forumite
    Options

Are you putting down the UKIP? I don't know a thing about politics but if UKIP support the notion of UK citizens having at the very least a GCSE in English (or an IELTS for foreigners) then I can't see why that is so bad....In England you speak English!

I am fully supportive of the idea that expats who frequent ANY OTHER EU country should have some working knowledge of the language, and would also support the necessity to have a GCSE+ in the language. It would prevent dilution of such languages like French, German, Polish etc. I even think that English people should have some awareness of Welsh and Gaelic because the Welsh, Scots, Irish should be respected.
  • Money-Saving-King
    Options
    daytona0 wrote: »
    I even think that English people should have some awareness of Welsh and Gaelic because the Welsh, Scots, Irish should be respected.

Each to their own with that. Personally I don't, I'd never end up using it!
  • geerex
    edited 4 November 2014 at 10:48AM
    Options
    daytona0 wrote: »
    Are you putting down the UKIP? I don't know a thing about politics but if UKIP support the notion of UK citizens having at the very least a GCSE in English (or an IELTS for foreigners) then I can't see why that is so bad....In England you speak English!

I am fully supportive of the idea that expats who frequent ANY OTHER EU country should have some working knowledge of the language, and would also support the necessity to have a GCSE+ in the language. It would prevent dilution of such languages like French, German, Polish etc. I even think that English people should have some awareness of Welsh and Gaelic because the Welsh, Scots, Irish should be respected.

Agreed.

To know nothing of the language of the country you choose to live is ignorant and lazy. No wonder we have these enclaves of foreigners where the people who used to live there have been driven out.

With regards to gaelic/Welsh, that's a bit silly as those aren't the dominant languages of their respective countries, and haven't been for centuries, if ever.
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    geerex wrote: »

It should be mandatory for British born too

Another one...... If you aren't the account holder -just say so -and don't spout off about how you pay the bill but the account isn't in your name. We really don't care-we just want to navigate the data protection process so we can get on with helping you. Oh and if you do decide to pretend to be the account holder and you aren't....... not knowing your own date of birth is a bit of a giveaway ! <eye-roll>
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    To be honest if I ever wanted to emigrate to another country that doesn't speak English I would have expected them to make sure I have learnt their language if I wanted to live there as one of the conditions of getting in.

You might but a startling number of British ex-pats in France and Spain don't speak a word of the local language and don't see any reason to learn.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills