Odd Businesses in Belfast

Cotta
Cotta Posts: 3,667 Forumite
Hi All,

After the roadshow that is NI22 I was told an interesting story by a friend yesterday. She was buying a sofa in Andersontown and had paid for the sofa and for its delivery to south Belfast. When the company realised her address they refused to sell or deliver the sofa claiming "you're from the other side, don't you realise who we are?". My friend was a bit naive and didn't realise what this meant until finally the penny dropped.

My question is, is this standard policy for companies around Belfast? It seems rather silly and bad business to me.

Comments

• Name and shame the store. I'm looking for a sofa and was going to head up that direction later this week to Direct Furniture and if it was them I might go elsewhere.
  • qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    If you give them enough green, most people can be made to turn a bit orange, I find - as long as the cash is the right colour.

I mentioned ni22 to herself last night and his happy marriage amongst other things. She reckons it's not true, since anyone who'd done that lurve thang even once in their life would not be that angry.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • Cotta
    It was Cancer Research of all places, I guess it didn't really affect the person whether they sold it or not.
  • qwert_yuiop
    That's mad. As if it's not hard enough to make a business pay these days. I take pounds, euro, whatever from anyone who walks in here.

I see we're back in panic mode today now Germany is back in recession. Not looking great, again.
  • Cotta
    I assume this was just a difficult employee as Cancer Research is an excellent charity and I have familiy members who volunteer to them.
  • qwert_yuiop
    Cotta wrote: »
    I assume this was just a difficult employee as Cancer Research is an excellent charity and I have familiy members who volunteer to them.

Needs fired.
  • shaz77_2
    shaz77_2 Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    Not uncommon and in Andersontown would seem very likely, it's just the way NI is unfortunately.
  • eastlady
    eastlady Posts: 214 Forumite
    erincc wrote: »
    Since you were the one asking for religious/political posts to cease I'm not sure why you felt the need to post this.

Was it just to stir things up a bit more??

Also for what it's worth don't believe a word of that story.

I think the question should be if it happened when did it happen.Know years ago van drivers from one area ,out of fear would not deliver to some other areas.Miriam
  • eastlady wrote: »
    I think the question should be if it happened when did it happen.Know years ago van drivers from one area ,out of fear would not deliver to some other areas.Miriam

I've heard of this also, the story doesn't surprise me in the slightest.
  • GlynD
    GlynD Posts: 10,883 Forumite
    Cotta wrote: »

I've never come across this in my life. I've found when it comes to grass roots people are very decent. Maybe I'm just lucky.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure