IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Lost at POPLA

Options
1235»

Comments

• bazster
    bazster Posts: 7,436 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 17 October 2014 at 8:08AM
    Options
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    You honestly reckon a contract conducted at arms length via a sign that may or may not be drawn to a consumer's attention and doesn't meet Lord Denning's red-hand rule, is an on-premises contract?

No of course I don't and I never said I did. However, my opinion is not the law, and the law says what it says.

Hopefully a judge would interpret the law in the common sense way that you have, but this remains to be seen.
    Je suis Charlie.
  • bazster
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    1gring wrote: »
    Doesn't the trader ie 'me' has to agree tho? or by reading you are agreeing?

You're not the trader, you're the consumer.

The PPC argument is that you agree by performance i.e. where the sign says "If you do A then you agree to B", then by doing A you do indeed agree to B.

This might have some legs if the sign were so obvious and so readable (with a bloody great red hand pointing at the really scary bits) that you couldn't possibly claim not to have seen and read it.

However, this certainly isn't the case at JLA. Even if you saw that there was a sign (which you might not given the amount of clutter alongside airport approach roads), you certainly can't read the T & C's from a moving vehicle.
    Je suis Charlie.
  • 1gring
    1gring Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    bazster wrote: »
    You're not the trader, you're the consumer.

The PPC argument is that you agree by performance i.e. where the sign says "If you do A then you agree to B", then by doing A you do indeed agree to B.

This might have some legs if the sign were so obvious and so readable (with a bloody great red hand pointing at the really scary bits) that you couldn't possibly claim not to have seen and read it.

However, this certainly isn't the case at JLA. Even if you saw that there was a sign (which you might not given the amount of clutter alongside airport approach roads), you certainly can't read the T & C's from a moving vehicle.
    Yes consumer :). you are right you can't read all that , it only became clear after I stopped which by then it's too late
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 133,272 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    bazster wrote: »
    No of course I don't and I never said I did. However, my opinion is not the law, and the law says what it says.

Hopefully a judge would interpret the law in the common sense way that you have, but this remains to be seen.

Agreed. So in the meantime I am using it a lot in new POPLA appeals, etc. :)
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • bazster
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    Agreed. So in the meantime I am using it a lot in new POPLA appeals, etc. :)

See my point elsewhere (I started a new thread rather than keep cluttering this one) about only the driver being able to cancel (if anyone can).
    Je suis Charlie.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 133,272 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    And I answered it, disagreeing again!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport