EE default put on by mistake ruined my 5/5 credit score

Options
HI guys found out 3 MTHS ago that EE dropped a default on my account,been on there for two years.Only found out when I applied for mortgage with hsbc and they bounced it out.The default was put on error EE have taken it off but I'm thinking I'm I due any compensation for them ruining my credit rating for two years. Anyone any idea's... Thanks rob

Comments

• boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    HI guys found out 3 MTHS ago that EE dropped a default on my account,been on there for two years.Only found out when I applied for mortgage with hsbc and they bounced it out.The default was put on error EE have taken it off but I'm thinking I'm I due any compensation for them ruining my credit rating for two years. Anyone any idea's... Thanks rob

You could in theory if you could prove that any credit you applied for in the past 2 years was at a higher rate of interest than if you didn't have the default. Or if any credit cards you already had would have offered you a lower rate. Or if any credit cards you had put up your interest rate because of the default.

You would need to get evidence of this from the lenders themselves (good luck with that) and in the case of the existing cards, actually paying interest on the balance. If you were clearing the balance in full (so no interest) your APR is meaningless.

Regarding the current mortgage application you could ask for compensation for the inconvenience but it's probably not even a night on the tiles worth, may as well ask but you shouldn't expect much.
  • GingerBob_3
    GingerBob_3 Posts: 3,659 Forumite
    Options
    This might be relevant:

http://www.theguardian.com/law/2014/jan/28/man-16-year-row-laptop-loan-supreme-court-credit-rating

Could be worth having a chat with a solicitor - one of those that offers a half hour consultation for a tenner or whatever it is now.
  • boo_star
    Options
    GingerBob wrote: »
    This might be relevant:

http://www.theguardian.com/law/2014/jan/28/man-16-year-row-laptop-loan-supreme-court-credit-rating

Could be worth having a chat with a solicitor - one of those that offers a half hour consultation for a tenner or whatever it is now.

Apples and Oranges.

Unless the OP has lost out on the house because of it there are no losses, only an inconvenience.

In the case you're referencing there was a whole load more to the story than the OPs.
  • GingerBob_3
    GingerBob_3 Posts: 3,659 Forumite
    Options
    boo_star wrote: »
    Apples and Oranges.

Unless the OP has lost out on the house because of it there are no losses, only an inconvenience.

In the case you're referencing there was a whole load more to the story than the OPs.

Yes, I'm sure there was, but the principle remains the same - organisation reporting to the CRAs causing a problem, unnecessarily. All I'm saying is, it could be worth a punt with the solicitor. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
  • boo_star
    Options
    GingerBob wrote: »
    Yes, I'm sure there was, but the principle remains the same - organisation reporting to the CRAs causing a problem, unnecessarily. All I'm saying is, it could be worth a punt with the solicitor. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

What are their losses?

This is important.
  • thebritishbloke
    Options
    You might be able to get a £50 goodwill gesture or something, but as the others have said, don't hold your breath.
    Credit 'Score' - Don't buy the credit 'score' that Experian, Equifax and Noddle want to sell you. It's an arbitrary number that means nothing when it comes to applying for credit.

ALWAYS HAVE A DIRECT DEBIT SET UP FOR THE MINIMUM PAYMENT ON YOUR CREDIT CARDS, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER YOU PLAN TO LOGIN AND PAY EACH MONTH.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure