We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including number plates, reference numbers and QR codes (which may reveal vehicle information when scanned).
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Park Watch Parking Fine Appeal was successful
simone10
Posts: 1,089 Forumite
Hi All
Just thought I'd add my recent story. Never received a parking fine before in my 24 years of driving (mostly weekends I'm on the road)
I didn't check out this Parking, Tickets, Fines and Parking thread until AFTER I sent by email my Appeal. After I read some stories on here I thought my very honest appeal would be refused.
It wasn't so here are the details.
I shopped on 14 Sept 2014. Think I was parked from 11.15am.
As evidence to support why I exceeded 4 hours I attached a receipt from Asda at 11.47 and another at 12.48 plus one from M&S at 15.11
Incidentally the charge was for £60 if I paid within 14 days of the issued notice, otherwise it rose to £100
I wish to appeal a PCN:
Date of Notice 22nd September 2014 -rec'd in post today 23.09.14
PCN Ref: 0000XXXXXX
Vehicle Reg: XXXX XXX
Date of Issue: 14-09-14
Time of issue: 4.07PM
I was rather distressed to receive a Parking Notice Charge letter today from my day out shopping at Perry Barr One Stop Shopping Centre on 14/09/2014
Whilst I’m aware there are signs about parking dotted about, I’ve used Perry Barr One Stop shopping on a regular basis (probably once every 6 weeks) for the past 15+ years and have never been fined before for staying over 4 hours.
In fact as a woman I do not know how to shop under 4 hours, generally my shopping days are closer to 8 hours!
I even use a cool box in my car to keep chilled groceries for up to 8 hours.
I’ve always assumed the signs are there (as it states) to deter football fans from parking there and going off site without using the shops.
I can’t understand why retailers would not want me to be shopping in the location for longer than 4 hours and don’t expect to get charged a fine for doing so.
I therefore ask the fine to be quashed on the basis I’m browsing and spending money on the site and assume the 4 hour margin was decided by a man and clearly does not understand I can easily spend 1.5 – 2 hours in a single shop (M&S Clearance shop being my favourite since its arrival in recent years as well as Asda on more than a single shop). I really don’t think M&S would be in favour of me returning goods to pay for a fine, but I can’t enjoy my purchases with the knowledge that I’m paying £60 - £100 extra for them. I have also sent an email to M&S Head Office advising them of the situation.
I don’t live very close to Perry Barr but elect to shop there because of the ‘ALL DAY free parking’ and I love the variety of shops
If you are really penalizing me for staying beyond 4 hours then it’s not viable for me to make the journey and I will have to shop where ALL DAY SHOPPING is welcomed, like Merry Hill Shopping Centre.
I don’t have all my receipts from the day, but I have got my hands on 2 from Asda in the morning and one from M&S in the afternoon
I would also love to know why you’ve suddenly started clamping down and penalising customers after 15+ years of not actually enforcing ‘the policy’
I'm also not clear whether its possible to shop for 4 hours, leave the car park for 10 mins and then return for another 4 hours. Or are you saying any 4 hours in a day isn't necessary?
I do hope as well as quashing this charge you can raise the 4-hour limit to a minimum of 6 hours, which is a more realistic shopping time for a woman (without husband or children in tow!)
Regards
Mrs XXXXXXX
A disgruntled Shopper
Original Message
From: Info [mailto:info@parkwatch.co.uk]
Sent: 09 October 2014 17:42
To: 'xxxxxxxx'
Subject: RE: parking charge notice appeal
Parking Charge Notice Ref:0000XXXXXX
VRM: XXXX XXX
Issue Reason: Exceeded maximum stay
Location: One Stop Shopping Centre
Dear Mrs XXXXX
Thank you for your appeal letter regarding the issue of the above parking charge notice.
After reviewing the information provided within your appeal letter and the photographic evidence that was taken in support of the issued PCN, we are able to cancel the PCN on this occasion. It is important that if your future visits to this location are likely to last in excess of 4 hours then please contact the centre management suite who will take your vehicle registration details which will prevent any further parking charges being issued. Please note the information signs on entry to the shopping centre on your next visit.
Yours Sincerely
Appeals Coordinator
Just thought I'd add my recent story. Never received a parking fine before in my 24 years of driving (mostly weekends I'm on the road)
I didn't check out this Parking, Tickets, Fines and Parking thread until AFTER I sent by email my Appeal. After I read some stories on here I thought my very honest appeal would be refused.
It wasn't so here are the details.
I shopped on 14 Sept 2014. Think I was parked from 11.15am.
As evidence to support why I exceeded 4 hours I attached a receipt from Asda at 11.47 and another at 12.48 plus one from M&S at 15.11
Incidentally the charge was for £60 if I paid within 14 days of the issued notice, otherwise it rose to £100
I wish to appeal a PCN:
Date of Notice 22nd September 2014 -rec'd in post today 23.09.14
PCN Ref: 0000XXXXXX
Vehicle Reg: XXXX XXX
Date of Issue: 14-09-14
Time of issue: 4.07PM
I was rather distressed to receive a Parking Notice Charge letter today from my day out shopping at Perry Barr One Stop Shopping Centre on 14/09/2014
Whilst I’m aware there are signs about parking dotted about, I’ve used Perry Barr One Stop shopping on a regular basis (probably once every 6 weeks) for the past 15+ years and have never been fined before for staying over 4 hours.
In fact as a woman I do not know how to shop under 4 hours, generally my shopping days are closer to 8 hours!
I even use a cool box in my car to keep chilled groceries for up to 8 hours.
I’ve always assumed the signs are there (as it states) to deter football fans from parking there and going off site without using the shops.
I can’t understand why retailers would not want me to be shopping in the location for longer than 4 hours and don’t expect to get charged a fine for doing so.
I therefore ask the fine to be quashed on the basis I’m browsing and spending money on the site and assume the 4 hour margin was decided by a man and clearly does not understand I can easily spend 1.5 – 2 hours in a single shop (M&S Clearance shop being my favourite since its arrival in recent years as well as Asda on more than a single shop). I really don’t think M&S would be in favour of me returning goods to pay for a fine, but I can’t enjoy my purchases with the knowledge that I’m paying £60 - £100 extra for them. I have also sent an email to M&S Head Office advising them of the situation.
I don’t live very close to Perry Barr but elect to shop there because of the ‘ALL DAY free parking’ and I love the variety of shops
If you are really penalizing me for staying beyond 4 hours then it’s not viable for me to make the journey and I will have to shop where ALL DAY SHOPPING is welcomed, like Merry Hill Shopping Centre.
I don’t have all my receipts from the day, but I have got my hands on 2 from Asda in the morning and one from M&S in the afternoon
I would also love to know why you’ve suddenly started clamping down and penalising customers after 15+ years of not actually enforcing ‘the policy’
I'm also not clear whether its possible to shop for 4 hours, leave the car park for 10 mins and then return for another 4 hours. Or are you saying any 4 hours in a day isn't necessary?
I do hope as well as quashing this charge you can raise the 4-hour limit to a minimum of 6 hours, which is a more realistic shopping time for a woman (without husband or children in tow!)
Regards
Mrs XXXXXXX
A disgruntled Shopper
Original Message
From: Info [mailto:info@parkwatch.co.uk]
Sent: 09 October 2014 17:42
To: 'xxxxxxxx'
Subject: RE: parking charge notice appeal
Parking Charge Notice Ref:0000XXXXXX
VRM: XXXX XXX
Issue Reason: Exceeded maximum stay
Location: One Stop Shopping Centre
Dear Mrs XXXXX
Thank you for your appeal letter regarding the issue of the above parking charge notice.
After reviewing the information provided within your appeal letter and the photographic evidence that was taken in support of the issued PCN, we are able to cancel the PCN on this occasion. It is important that if your future visits to this location are likely to last in excess of 4 hours then please contact the centre management suite who will take your vehicle registration details which will prevent any further parking charges being issued. Please note the information signs on entry to the shopping centre on your next visit.
Yours Sincerely
Appeals Coordinator
The end is nigh
0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards