NPower and Richburns (debt collector?)

Options
verntern
verntern Posts: 247 Forumite
I have had a letter, out of the blue, from a company called Richburns saying 'we need to visit your property and inspect your gas meter'. Also, quote, 'Npower require that we carry out a safety inspection of your gas meter'. More ominous is an added implicated threat 'if we do not gain access to your meter we will make an application to the Courts for a warrant of entry and the legal costs will be passed on to you (minimum £150).
I am perfectly happy for a safety check to be made on my gas meter. It is on the rear wall of my home, in the usual box and easily accessible. What is perturbing is the bullying tone of their letter. I am in credit for my dual fuel account with NPower for £386. Richburns appear to be a debt collection agency. Anyone had experience of them and if they do represent NPower? Thanks for reading this.

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 5 October 2014 at 1:40PM
    Options
    The provider is required to inspect your meter every two years by law, and may indeed force entry by warrant if you refuse access.
    The inspection will be done by the meter asset holder or their agent.
    Looking at their website, they offer both meter management and debt collection services
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • verntern
    verntern Posts: 247 Forumite
    Options
    Many thanks Macman. I have no intention of refusing access. Just worried that the threat of a Court order for a warrant of entry in this initial letter is necessary? It is still intimidating. Never had anything like this before. Never heard of this Richburns company.
  • Nada666
    Nada666 Posts: 5,004 Forumite
    Options
    verntern wrote: »
    Just worried that the threat of a Court order for a warrant of entry in this initial letter is necessary? It is still intimidating. Never had anything like this before.
    Really? Most every organisation nowadays starts off with such aggressive rubbish at the first point of contact.
  • GingerBob_3
    GingerBob_3 Posts: 3,659 Forumite
    Options
    Nada666 wrote: »
    Really? Most every organisation nowadays starts off with such aggressive rubbish at the first point of contact.

Yes, that's about it. I'd be inclined to:

a) Ignore it. After all, the meter is outside the property so presumably they can inspect it at their convenience.

Or,

b) Write an equally abrasive letter back to them (don't put a stamp on it) saying that if they don't amend their tone you'll consider it harassment.

Also, leave Npower anyway. They are scum.
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    they are authorised, however they are no way qualified and hire out an engineer. if you wanted to play them attend court and ask how they are qualified lol
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have they left you cards before seeking access?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    they pretend to of
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    GingerBob wrote: »
    Yes, that's about it. I'd be inclined to:

a) Ignore it. After all, the meter is outside the property so presumably they can inspect it at their convenience.

Or,

b) Write an equally abrasive letter back to them (don't put a stamp on it) saying that if they don't amend their tone you'll consider it harassment.

Also, leave Npower anyway. They are scum.
    Having an outside meter does not mean access to it is at the suppliers convenience. Electric front gates, ( and other fortresses) are now commonplace throughout the UK, even in council estates they re found.most of them dont even have a call bell, so in a way we can deem that as refusing access. Its fortress UK when the only access is the front letter box attached to a wall. I personally always put "refused access " in my drop down list when no call bell is provided when they can spend 2k on fancy snobby electric gates but deliberately leave out a 2 quid door bell.Being in credit on a utility bill means nothing when the meter itself can t be accessed to verify all is well at any time that we choose, not when the occupier decides to admit us
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    One of these days, the dust bin collector will need stab vests and leg protectors from dog bites.

I have been thinking about rigging a bomb to the letterbox to discourage junk mail for years, but what's the point, you kill one, there's ten million more.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure