We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

Options

Comments

• alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    hi all

well my time in the sun is drawing to a close....well Monday ..

sorry to hear about your chooks choille.. there ARE chooks here but rarely ever hear them ...except about 2 in the morning when the cockerels have a competition as to who can wake the most people who have finally got to sleep in the heat which doesn't change even in the night ! :eek:
    there are no birds here ! the odd sort of dove/pidgeon goes by but not a sound of any thing with feathers it seems... I thought there would be stacks of wildlife ! ive seen the rear end of what im guessing was a tiny lizard of some sort disappearing over a wall but after that...nothing...
    oh except the odd hornet type thing flying past [we are talking B road not motorway traffic for insects]
    there ARE bats at night and cats that have twigged I MAY have chopped up meat in a bag that ive scrounged during daylight...;)

we are going on a coastal boat ride this evening, tickets for which we were sold yesterday quay side, having looked at pictures of varying vessels that either resembled a sea faring bouncy castle t jack sparrows summer residence !.... having chosen a more "African queen" style vessel to bob along in, I now have my doubts as to wether the bouncy castle may be the vessel of the captains choice ... I did ask/try to verify that it would be the AQ but was met with a "sure, sure" which does nothing to boost confidence.
    here, they have learnt the art [very convincingly] of saying "of course" and meaning "not a hope!"

went to the Turkish delight shop yesterday...think the owner was booking his own holiday after I left with my heaving bag of goodies, supposedly as gifts for home but can guarantee only 50% will reach their intended destinations ... ;)

I must admit a week is enough for me, I miss my animogs too much ...

the heat is intense but no breeze even tho we are 10 minutes from the coast [5mins as the "if you can find one " crow flies....]

the backdrop here is a row of amazing mountains ... having driven over them it makes me appreciate our fauna at home.. barren ! we in the uk are a nation of colour in comparison, don't see pots of brightly coloured flowers growing etc just the standard shrubs here. ooooooooooo I love my green green garden :D
    probably wont be so homesick when I get there :rotfl:

hope you sell your "dog" mobile ,dave.. mine would go with a health warning and asmatics stay clear ..

well ive got to try and shift my butttt out of this chair, on the balcony [due to the heat, I tend to walk off unwittingly with the imprint of whicker across my rear end ] and get another cuppa:D then decide what to do before jack sparrow takes us to the high sea's ;)

have a good day y'all

xxx
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    I'm hibernating today. Was going to sow some winter greenery (spinach, lettuce, sorrel, etc) but over the course of about ten minutes, the weather turned up.

No conservation workdays at present, either, so already somewhat cranky with being indoors/town for a fortnight. I might have to force myself to go to the gym tomorrow.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    , the weather turned up..

Yes, I was supposed to be in a hole today, bedding-down an inspection chamber properly and sorting some pipes out, but we were forecast heavy showers and tightly packed isobars, so I wimped-out. :o Just as well too!

I cut down our contorted hazel, before the wind got up. DW does the ironing in the front bedroom and asked if she could have a better view now, rather than later. After I did that, she discovered she could see all the way to the nearby town's beacon.

The hazel was roughly in the centre of our proposed new driveway, so it had to go, but we both hated it anyway! :D

Alfie will get a huge climatic shock tomorrow if it carries on like this! :(
  • alfie_1
    First Post
    Options
    well It started raining straight after I left uk so if it improves about 1am tomorrow , you will know I am back on gud ald 'ampshire turf ;)

it is lovely here but stifling.. even with the slight breezes it is an uncomfortable strange heat ! ive been in some hotter zones but this is the most exhausting..

tried to fit the resident stray cats into my hand luggage but ..... :(
    they are ,in the circumstances, reasonably well fed here where im staying which is quite a village .. all around the parks etc in the town ,are shelters for the dogs to get out of the heat /in from the cold .. watering bowls /tanks and feed stations provided by various charities ..
    talking to one such, they said they are not allowed to remove street dogs [gov policy ! ] but can take "dumped/handed over dogs" ....so they endeavour to catch/neutor/release as many street cats/dogs as they can.. they put a nick in their ears to show they have been "seen" to..

id be no good living here, id be wall to wall dogs/cats !!
    having said that ,there are a lot of fat healthy street dogs that have had their territories for years and locals look after them...

on asking my son had he remembered to feed my cat / owl in my abcense he said he had and had actually been stroking the cat:eek: but she had hissed at him and gone to bite him....:o she is a funny bu**ar ! misses her mommy ...

right im not long for leaving for the airport so watch the weather peeps...and if it starts to improve you can thank me later ;)
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    Hurry up, Alfie - I'm getting bored with this weather now!

Had a hospital appointment today. Glad to say that I'm not being dismissed with the Daily Horoscope of Medicine for the Middleaged Female - Fibromyalgia, aka Go Home, Get Some Exercise and Don't Darken Our Door Ever Again - I apparently 'almost certainly' have Psoriatic Arthritis with a quite favourable prognosis, but I need to start injecting myself with noxious chemicals. Which means I'd probably better get my jabs in before my immune system transforms from one that has me left standing, completely bemused by all around me dropping like flies every winter.

That'll be flu, possibly pneumonia and maybe Tetanus. I can only remember three occasions - one at 5, one at 17 and one about ten years ago when the old cat sank her manky fangs and molars into my thumb because I had the temerity to save her life by removing the roast beef string and plastic from her windpipe rather than let her expire on my lap. Stripey legged ingrate. And the nurse at the Walk In Centre laughed at me for grumbling about the wretched animal whilst clutching a mangled thumb wrapped in a sock. There is no guarantee that I had any vaccinations prior to going to school and no way of checking.

Not hugely keen on the prospect of mildly poisoning myself on a longterm basis/turning myself into a glorified pin cushion, but I want to be able to be out and about doing things throughout the autumn and winter as well, especially if anywhere in the village or surrounding area comes up for rent at short notice - I'm going to need to be able to do lots of walking, working and managing with the West Devon weather if that happens, especially as mornings are already incredibly difficult for me to handle. It's, just a couple of weeks back in the city/one at work and I've just scraped in through the front door within 0- 3 minutes of my official start time every day so far. Amazing how I had no trouble waking up before first sparrow chirp and being active for hours on end as soon as I got out of this place and into the green bits.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    [frowns at Alfie]

Well, what do you have to say for yourself? This weather is atrocious. Did you not think to bring some decent weather back with you?
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Alfie - you will have to adjust to the UK weather. Sounds like quite an experience. I think I would find the heat too exhausting.

Lost a few more chickens which is sad & depressing as I was about. I really don't know what is doing it but probably a pine marten. Cockerel is recovering but he is quite nervy - well not surprising really.
    The rain here has been torrential, water gushing everywhere. Never known it quite like what is was the other night - kept awake by the noise of large boulders getting washed down the burn.

The midges have been worst ever - must be the weather.

Dog learned to swim yesterday when he went chasing ducks and went off a rock into deep water down the shore. The look of surprise when he realised that his paws wouldn't touch the bottom! He was okay but soaked as was I when he got out & shook himself.

Swallows seem to have gone but they were here early so it is officially Autumn - Hope you sell the car Dave if you want to.
    Hope the injections work JoJo - are they a a steroid?

OH just had both ankles injected and he feels the benefit - the pain has eased.
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    choille wrote: »
    Alfie - you will have to adjust to the UK weather. Sounds like quite an experience. I think I would find the heat too exhausting.

Lost a few more chickens which is sad & depressing as I was about. I really don't know what is doing it but probably a pine marten. Cockerel is recovering but he is quite nervy - well not surprising really.
    The rain here has been torrential, water gushing everywhere. Never known it quite like what is was the other night - kept awake by the noise of large boulders getting washed down the burn.

The midges have been worst ever - must be the weather.

Dog learned to swim yesterday when he went chasing ducks and went off a rock into deep water down the shore. The look of surprise when he realised that his paws wouldn't touch the bottom! He was okay but soaked as was I when he got out & shook himself.

Swallows seem to have gone but they were here early so it is officially Autumn - Hope you sell the car Dave if you want to.
    Hope the injections work JoJo - are they a a steroid?

OH just had both ankles injected and he feels the benefit - the pain has eased.

Nope, this new consultant doesn't like doing intrarticular injections unless absolutely essential and refuses to do generalised muscle ones/prescribe tablets due to the side effects in the long term - I've just spent the last few years with rock bottom Vitamin D and osteopenia (bone pain) as a result of steroids (and the ones in the joints are *$*$&£("*"&* in terms of pain, in my experience) - so I'm onto low dose chemo/methotrexate. Bleurgh. Got to take extra loads of folic acid to try and make sure I don't lose so much hair I look as though I'm moulting this time. And I puke up even on the lowest doses, so antiemetics, too.

It's all glamour and sophistication here. :D
  • alfie_1
    First Post
    Options
    well, smack me and chuck me in the cuboard ;) :rotfl:

to be fair it has only rained a bit over night here ... been fine , sort of sunny even..

went to work yesterday and lost one of the dogs [one I look after!!] :eek: spent 4 hrs looking for it !
    after searching high and low ,got the gardeners walking through the maize field [about 8ft high] like Labradors to try and flush her out IF she was there. I stayed on the edge and waited... calling like a banshee !! yep, she trotted out !!!! she is dolly daydreams pup and is total opposite in character....

welcome bl**dy home ....:o
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Nope, this new consultant doesn't like doing intrarticular injections unless absolutely essential and refuses to do generalised muscle ones/prescribe tablets due to the side effects in the long term - I've just spent the last few years with rock bottom Vitamin D and osteopenia (bone pain) as a result of steroids (and the ones in the joints are *$*$&£("*"&* in terms of pain, in my experience) - so I'm onto low dose chemo/methotrexate. Bleurgh. Got to take extra loads of folic acid to try and make sure I don't lose so much hair I look as though I'm moulting this time. And I puke up even on the lowest doses, so antiemetics, too.

It's all glamour and sophistication here. :D

OH has Vit D low levels because of his blood disorder they believe, so he has supplement. It was the surgeon who did the injections as it has to be precise. He could not sleep for pain and cannot take most painkillers as he is allergic - tongue swells, lips and head so quite dangerous. It's quite alarming how his joints have been affected and the pain he's in. I don't think all this damp weather is helping at all.

Can't believe how the light is racing in and they were sorting their Christmas stock out in Dunelm - that should be illegal.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback