We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

Options

Comments

• choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We are well. How are you lot.

Still going up & down to Skye - you must come here when you pass by.

We have a new addition to the family - a Welsh Sheepdog who is quite naughty but he's only little, well he's growing by the hour.
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    Oh, the glamour and romance of Ragworting in the rain.

The field was occupied by some year old Sussex Cattle, so after 6 hours pulling Ragwort, my boots and clothes had a slight essence of the countryside about them - and then Himself had to do a Tick Check when I got out of the bath. He's put the boots outside the back door and I suspect that, if he were a braver man, he'd attempt to do the same with me.

Same again tomorrow. And then sleep. Lots of sleep.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    Much easier in the next part today - yesterday's rain had soaked in and made getting the damn plants out with roots intact a far less physical endeavour.

No OH to check for ticks today - he's away on tour for a few nights, but I've been invited to some do where I will get to meet other people working in the field (sometimes literally) tomorrow night. If I am still capable of moving at that point, I'll [strike]limp and waddle[/strike] go along.

Got back home and started glaring at the rambling roses. I'll have until next Wednesday to deal with those, after which I shall be massacring Laurel and crownlifting Holly for two days. I have checked, but unfortunately, there are no chain mail suits on offer for that.

Maybe the inside of my boots will have dried off by then. Or I will have made it to the camping shop to try on waterproof walking boots before ordering them for a quarter of the price online.

Relevant question: Waterproof boots or quickdrying boots? They ideally need to be lightweight, no breaking in if at all possible, not reliant upon having skinny little ankles and calves, and suitable for Dartmoor as well as the Downs and woods of the Southeast. And as cheap as possible without being a glorified pair of slippers.

I'm more of a skin dries faster than standard clothing type of person, so not keen on bulky waterproofs which make you feel like you're in a steam room, but I also intensely dislike being cold. I was thinking that some sort of fleece thing would be a plan, too (as long as it's not the obligatory pink or mauve most places seem to sell).

I've never needed proper clothing for the outdoors, as I'm in the town centre - and as a rule, the most I wear in winter over my usual stuff is a jumper. I have my daft hat (leather, big brim, has gone to more festivals than I have because people like to borrow it as it works in sun or rain, battered but pretty much perfect for all but snow, when a woolly beanie comes out instead)

What are people's recommendations for stuff that'll do for a while until it's absolutely necessary (ie, we've actually moved) to get durable, expensive gear?
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
  • choille
    Options
    Charity shops.
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    choille wrote: »
    Charity shops.

Thanks - at least one of us checks out the charity shops regularly, but it's not the sort of thing that gets bought and then CSd in this part of London. Either that, or they're fished out of the donations piles and sold/moved on elsewhere.

If I wanted shiny patent platform stripper shoes or Primarni clothes priced up at twice their cost brand new and not faded in the wash, I'd have no problem. :(
  • choille
    edited 27 July 2017 at 10:49PM
    Options
    Screwfix has good solid gear.

What are Primarni clothes? Is it like Primark?
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    choille wrote: »
    Screwfix has good solid gear.

What are Primarni clothes? Is it like Primark?

Yup. Primark - the [strike]trashiest[/strike] skimpiest, cheapest offerings. Think women in heels so high, they walk like Bambi on ice to the 'bar/lifestyle venue' made of out shipping containers so the boom boom boom doof loop track for whatever rapper/shouter with a fake accent can come out with the highest frequency of N words and 'shanking enemies comin' down my Endz' reverberates so much, you can feel it when on the bus 250 yards away. The stuff they wear is what turns up in the charity shops.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,182 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not a fan then Jojo? :D
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Walking boots from Aldi and Lidl wear well, and are pretty waterproof. Oh, and Berghaus are cheap... if only because they last so long. I downgraded one of two pairs bought in 1991, and they are still going strong. I have had to stick the sole back on one, but otherwise like new...ish.

But Aldi boots cost £19, and last a couple of years.

Clothes from charity shops are fine by me, but I can't be doing with other's cheesy feet!

Oh, and Dunlop short wellies. Last ages, good thick sole.
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    hi all
    and hi choille :j:j

well we finally had some rain and the fields are looking good :)

my dad was very poorly last weekend :( nursing home "called us in". he had another chest infection and was very weak [he had inf about 4 weeks ago too] but he seems to have rallied a bit [he is 90 !] although I can see he is weak and each time it happens he loses strength, so its a waiting game at the moment..

iv had a poorly right hand for 2 weeks now ! my knuckles are swollen and painfull [no, I didn't wallop anyone ;) ] saw doc, anti flams , but no difference.. It doesn't affect me till I stupidly go to use it by gripping something....

bimble was in the vets this week having miss judged leaping up 2 high brick steps and body slammed the top step :o poor little man looked SO embarrassed ! he has as the vet put it, whiplash ! he has painkillers and is getting back to his usual bolshy self..

still don't know if tilly is in foal.. will just have to wait and see..

had the wasp men out this morning to rid a nest that were in the roof/wall beside my sons bedroom window .. he hates all "stingers" having got attacked by hornets at the last house [he arrived home late ,climbed into bed , not realising there were hornets on his bed via window and pulling the quilt up enclosing him and them !! he took off like a whippet !!

well as for boots , I wait for the sales in mole valley [scats to us 'ere still ;) ] ive got some cracking boots for a fraction of the price...

ok, gotta go to work now [ looking after 2 holiday lets for someone ] got a friend to help as I cant always do it and so she fills in for me then...

ive booked my flight to Cyprus [sept] and the guy is saving all the money from the holly lets for me [spending money] or id just spend it ! :rotfl:

have a good weekend folks xx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure