Forum Home» Greenfingered MoneySaving

Daydream fund challenge part 4 - Page 1013

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

edited 4 October 2014 at 11:24AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
10.6K replies 823.4K views

Replies

• ukmaggie45ukmaggie45 Forumite
    3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bit of an update from me (apologies for length of post!), we decided to come home to Liverpool - we travelled on Thursday...  I wrote this on another forum:
    We finally made it home. It only took two and a half hours! There was very little traffic till we reached the A55 Coast Road, but even there it was very quiet compared to normal daytime. Not as many trucks as usual I would guess, and not that many cars either. We hit traffic just after we came over the Merseyflow Bridge (the new one at Runcorn/Widnes) and once we got into Speke it was very slow. Lots of trucks (most of which seemed a bit irrelevant, like one MASSIVE truck taking recycling metal to heaven knows where), and lots of cars. We only saw a single bus.

Both absolutely shattered! I've been sleeping very badly since Monday night, and not able to eat much too. The journey passed in a daze for me. Managed to stay awake to keep OH company though. Car is unpacked and I'm in bed. Don't know what tomorrow will bring, but the builders are working next door, so will prob start up at 8am!
    ================>>>

The builders did arrive at 8am yesterday morning! Not too bad noise wise except when a skip arrived. I did a massive rant on FaceBook about all the confusion about what you can and can't do:

Initially over 70s were told to isolate at home. But very few can, since they need to eat, and all the rich and healthy and young have taken delivery slots from supermarkets for the foreseeable future. So now it seems it's OK to go and shop, especially since Tesco has put aside 3 hours a week for the ancient and decrepit to shop. From 9 am to 10 am Monday, Wed, Fri.

Today OH went and shopped. He had to queue for half an hour (he's relatively fit and healthy, but lots of oldies would have a problem standing just queueing for that long). He did say that they were only allowing in 4 people per aisle, but once you were in you couldn't stay a full 2 metres away as people were just wandering around the aisles so you had to pass them closer. IYSWIM.

They were sanitising the trollies before you got one to go in, and they had security to ensure spacing outside. He reckoned they were doing as well as they could manage, I guess they may begin to be more organised about distancing when people are more used to it?

Next week he will have to go to chemist to collect our meds. So far as I'm aware they won't deliver, or only for a £5 charge (elderly lady in Wales complained about them as she couldn't afford that, so had to go and fetch them to save the money. It's Boots).

So we've already gone from Stay at Home for 12 weeks as we're over 70 and vulnerable, to get out there and shop in the 3 hours a week when the place won't be quite as over run and get your medicine yerself, and so much for being vulnerable.

Meanwhile food is being delivered to the doorstep for Johnson in 10 Downing Street. And I bet he doesn't pay for the delivery.

Grrrr!

================>>>

But it's a relief to be back home, where at least we can talk to our GP if we need to (obviously hope we don't, but there would have been no help for us in Wales). Plus we have potatoes chitting here and want to get them planted. The lottie is still open, provided people properly keep their distance it can be used for "exercise". But I think we may plant half the spuds here just in case it's closed later, or they decide the over 70s must stay completely house bound. Bit sad about the two ginormous pots of broad beans that we had to leave at the caravan! But we can start some more off. 

Appetite much improved, OH got pork and apple sausages in Tesco yesterday, and we had them with onion gravy, carrots and mash. Yum! Real comfort food! Leftover sausages fry up for brekkie soon too. Might try for a bath after that - I'm a tad "fragrant" at present since haven't showered since Monday - we were too busy trying to pack at caravan and I'm very slow at packing with the ME. 

• greenbeegreenbee Forumite
    14.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm on my third week of isolation, following on from 2 weeks of travel - just getting over what my GP tells me is almost definitely the virus (thankfully I'm not unwell enough to be tested). I'm a little reluctant to go out when it finally clears up (I'm waiting for a full day of normal temps, and then several consecutive days before I risk going out) as I keep hearing about people not keeping their distance and empty shelves in shops. The only people I have seen are (at a distance) a village volunteer, my brother and a friend all of whom have dropped off the odd supply of fresh veg!

I'm not usually home more than about 50% of the time, so I wasn't really geared up for permanent residence. However, it has given me time to get on with the garden - grass is mown, I've been moving primroses and doing the odd bit of weeding - I think the garden will be my exercise for the next couple of months (well, it's either that or PE with Joe which frankly is too much like hard work!) and it'll be nice to get back to growing food. TBH I suspect that I'm not ever going to go back to the crazy amount of travel that I used to do. Now the rest of the world has worked out how to work remotely I see no need to leave the house in future (for work anyway). Of course, I design the garden based on being away a lot, and not bothering with food growing, so it's going to be a challenge changing!

If you can get what you need via delivery rather than going out, I'd recommend it. In the meantime, this is fun: 

• ukmaggie45ukmaggie45 Forumite
    3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do jump back in RAS! It'll be great to catch up on your news, a diversion from all the doom and gloom on the News! 
  • greenbeegreenbee Forumite
    14.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ukmaggie45 - Waitrose currently says no slots available as they’re reserving them for old and vulnerable customers. My mum got a Sainsbury’s slot ver unexpectedly for the next day and apparently it’s because they have lists from the govt of old and vulnerable to match against their customer lists. It doesn’t help those of us self-isolating of course - we can’t go out at all. 

Check whether your your street has volunteers - we have them here and they are shopping for isolated and vulnerable.

lots of shops that don’t usually deliver have started deliveries- my mum is starting to use the local butcher. We have a list of shops that deliver on local FB sites. It might be worth calling any shop you normally use.
  • RASRAS Forumite
    28.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Government have shared the list of vulnerable with the major supermarkets so they can approach existing customers, according to newspapers and the BBC.

Our local cheese shop and the fruit and veg shop are doing deliveries now. The queue for the veg shop is about 20-25 people long, two only in the shop. One only in the butchers, slightly shorter queue, and the cheese shop, much smaller queue but they are doing "click and collect" as well. 

The nearest supermarket is limiting numbers (cut since Wednesday), one in one out and about 15 queuing outside now but it was manic earlier in the week; decided not to bother. Both other supermarkets also limiting numbers and a friend told that the queue for the M&S supermarket went right round their car park this morning. 

Actually a much nicer experience in the supermarket than last week. Some loud mouth unloading his trolley was yelling about "of course trying to do social distancing but not that easy", standing right behind me despite having a 6 foot long pile of shopping on the belt.

Have started planting and need to get the potatoes in the allotment, but it's been so wet that the ground has barely dried out enough. Going to bring some herbs like chives over to the garden. I'll grow tomatoes and some salads here but it's tiny.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • RummerRummer Forumite
    6.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am so relieved that I am an over eager gardener and that I have all the soil and seeds I will need for the foreseeable. My original plan had been to grow fruit and salad items at home and the rest at the allotment however that plan is no longer viable. Currently looking at the space and resources I have available at home and trying to plan the garden so that I can produce as much food as quickly as possible.

I have a few gardening books that were issued during WW2 and they make for very interesting reading. Lots of ideas for a steady food supply over the year.
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
  • DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    33.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of the seed companies have been overwhelmed and stopped taking orders, it seems. Suddenly, we're a nation of gardeners.....maybe! Like you, Rummer, we've enough to keep us going, so no big drama there. 
    Here, our 4 year mission to re-vamp the road hedge is at an end at last. Yesterday the wind was so strong, I burned the huge pile of branches I'd collected over the past couple of weeks in the space of 2 hours. The puny fire in the picture was all that was left when I packed-up.
    The first tree in the far distance is a hawthorn, but most of the others are oaks. They should eventually even up and gain better shapes now no one's flailing them annually. We will leave the top of the hedge to grow unchecked now for 3 years.
    As you can see, the grass is still sparse and short. We're actually too dry now and need the wind to go around to the west, which might happen on Thursday. When it does, I've two more bonfires ready to go!
    The village has a volunteering arrangement, but it's all done over Faceache, which I won't join. :# I'll contact the persons running it by other means. Someone invited me to join, but it wasn't clear whether it was as a vulnerable person or a helper! :D
    Sponsoring The Warning in 2020
    469fc3ds43h3.jpg
    Clapton, Hendrix, Page, Santana.....err... Kanami Tono?
  • RummerRummer Forumite
    6.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like it is all coming together Dave! 

I am currently clearing an overgrown patch of the garden to make space for more veg. There are a lot of baby nettles starting to come through in the part that will be a path, if I dig them and as many of their roots out as I can then cover the area with a double layer of weed control fabric (the cheap stuff) and a generous layer of bark will that be enough?   
  • DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    33.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of the roots on nettles tend to be near the surface, Rummer, so what you've done sounds OK. We use the cheap, spun-bonded weed fabric doubled-over around new plantings and it works well.
    Sponsoring The Warning in 2020
    469fc3ds43h3.jpg
    Clapton, Hendrix, Page, Santana.....err... Kanami Tono?
  • RummerRummer Forumite
    6.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    It was quite the battle today, bring back the creeping buttercup! The nettles were quite established and it was a real fight to clear as many of the roots as possible. It was a real (although worthwhile) slog today however I have now freed up a lot of planting space which will be fully utilised over the next few weeks!

Been thinking about vegetables that would be good to intersperse between flowers and shrubs in borders and I am mainly thinking about rainbow chard, onions and beetroot. What else would be good to mix in the borders?I will have established veggie beds but thought a few things mixed in would be beneficial.