Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Advice on Damp and Condensation!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving
4 replies 1.3K views
hoppahoppa Forumite
3 Posts
Bought Tyneside flat in 2004.

First problem to be addressed turned out to be two sets of damp.

First one I found a guarantee which guaranteed Remtox materials.

That work has been carried out however quite surprised not injected in conventional way however the tanking method they have used turned out to be effective.

I did worry about it last year as during cold weather it revealed signs of damp etc,however a sample by Sovereign revealed not damp.

The second damp wall (bedroom through to living room and then kitchen) I had completed by a private Company called DCP based in Jesmond,Newcastle.

This is where I made a massive mistake, This company issued me with a 30 year guarantee and the company guaranteed the work and materials.

In the last year I have noticed this damp injection work failing.

I have since been informed that I have no come back as the company is now insolvent and that this is common practice by damp proofers.

There are no spores etc but discolouration of the walls,the angle bar is soaked up to a meter high (classic rising damp symptoms).

Also in bedroom condensation forming moist covering on clothes and shoes .

How bad does damp have to be before it affects health?

Is condensation a health risk ,been in here 10 years and have since been diagnosed with slight asthma, asked consultant about asthma with home conditions he informed me that its negligible.

Mind you smoked for 30 years gave up two years ago and have been a firefighter for last 28 years..(lots of smoke).

I don’t know weather to sell,can problems be remedied.

Im afraid I don’t think so, 18 inch Flemish bonded walls.

I keep it well aired and have been advised to have special air filter systems installed but cant help thinking just a sales pitch.Two issues

1): how bad does damp have to be,as I said some walls showing discolouration and feel damp,had meter on and it is damp.

2): Can condensation be controlled.

Trying to buy time but feel this damp will need to be sorted soon.

Bit long winded but any help most appreciated.

Thanks

Replies

• ABrassABrass Forumite
    477 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    hoppa wrote: »
    There are no spores etc but discolouration of the walls,the angle bar is soaked up to a meter high (classic rising damp symptoms).

Also in bedroom condensation forming moist covering on clothes and shoes .
    Condensation means that you've got warm moist air hitting cold items and so causing the air to cool down, lowering the amount of water vapour that it can carry. </stating obvious>

Whilst you might have rising damp, or moisture coming through the walls, condensation is normally caused by poor ventilation and/or insufficiently insulated walls. If your walls are cold then the air at the base will be coldest and cause the most condensation, giving you a very similar result. One surefire demonstration would be if you have similar issues on the first floor as on a ground floor.

For the walls there are some low-tech things to check like making sure there's nothing bridging the dry proofing level/treatment.

Can you get a de-humidifier to try to suck out some of the moisture?

You could try doing internal wall insulation but it's not cheap and takes a fair bit of work. External is easier but more expensive.
  • auntySauntyS Forumite
    255 Posts
    hoppa wrote: »

I keep it well aired and have been advised to have special air filter systems installed but cant help thinking just a sales pitch.

Hi,

I had damp and condensation issues a few years ago in my bungalow - mould and mildew inside the fitted wardrobes on outside walls, damp smells and condensation streaming down the windows every morning in winter.

I had a PIV (Positive Input Ventilation) fan fitted in my loft by Peter Cox costing about £800, and also had all wardrobes moved away from the wall by fixing to battens to allow about 1" space all round.

Like you I was uncertain whether the PIV fan was just salesmanship but I took a chance and all problems are now resolved. It's such a joy to get up in winter and find the windows are clear, and I haven't noticed any increase in bills due to running costs as I think the house feels warmer too.

Hope you can find a way to solve your problems. Good luck
  • Hi hoppa,

I saw your post on the Screwfix Community but thought I would join in the conversation here.

This definitely sounds like condensation, here are some ways to reduce condensation in your home:
    • Try to keep the inside temperature reasonably constant for as much of the time as possible.
    • Avoid drying clothes indoors. If you have no choice, place the clothes rack beside an open window in a room with the door shut.
    • Do not dry clothes over a radiator.
    • Ensure tumble driers are properly vented.
    • Do not disable or turn off any extraction fans.

It is possible to control condensation and the key to this is adequate ventilation. As auntyS suggests, a PIV fan fitted in the loft will ventilate your whole house and should help reduce the humidity levels which are causing these problems.
  • hoppa wrote: »
    I keep it well aired and have been advised to have special air filter systems installed but cant help thinking just a sales pitch.Two issues

1): how bad does damp have to be,as I said some walls showing discolouration and feel damp,had meter on and it is damp.

2): Can condensation be controlled.

Thanks
    special air filter probably is a sales pitch, you're not living in a super moist climate like a rainforest

I would personally look into putting several extractors in - get a core drill or hire it, 50 quid something like that, make your holes put em in - then you want to look into switched ones or timeswitched extractors for places like bedroom - can imagine winter's going to freeze with them all going in winter, but then again winter is much dryer air, so they're needed less - have them on full pelt in summer, get that moist air out, get an air-con type side effect if you're lucky

you can save money by timing them on off if electric is a problem

1. damp can affect health especially for ex smokers like you and like me

2. I think condensation can be managed I got a house at a knock off price cause of some damp, did it out with stuff like above, and other things like small holes in doors etc, ventilation = key, made a tidy profit. no damp, no worries. Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.