Hard of Hearing Disability

Comments

• dosh1
    dosh1 Posts: 116 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    SailorSam wrote: »
    I have to wear an hearing aid, it's a pain isn't it to keep asking people to repeat things, not to mention embarrassing.
    I'm having trouble with my eyes, i have double vision and i know i looked into whether i'd be entitled to extra benefits for that, and was told not unless i was declared visually impaired which seems unlikely. So i imagine it's somewhat the same with hearing and you'd be lucky to get any extra.
    Yes I totally agree. There is also the possibility that by not hearing or misunderstanding, it impacts on the work you (one) does and suspect some jobs cannot afford this. I suspect employers also have rights in that if one cannot do the job they are employed to do etc..... etc..... Not a great thought for the future but a realistic one (for me).....
  • dosh1
    McKneff wrote: »
    There are thousands of jobs being done out there that don't rely on people being able to hear. #
    Yes I agree with you and all jobs and roles are as important as each other however I suspect that I will be unable to be employed in a job that pays the equivalent of what I am being paid currently and have the same status so therefore my disability will impact on the type of job I can do in the future AND standard of living I have worked hard to achieve to date.
  • dosh1
    nannytone wrote: »
    legallt tiyr employer has to make reasonable adjustments to allow you to continue working, also access to work may be some help , even to the point where a PA will be funded to enable you to carry on working
    Thanks for your response and yes I am aware of what is currently available however I am thinking what happens when an employer has done all they can to try to accommodate a hearing disability but does not help or solve the issue. Some hearing problems are clarity not volume so it doesn't matter how loud devices can make sounds be heard its the clarity that can not be resolved.
  • dosh1
    ^^ This. Have you asked your employer about making adjustments to your work? I can imagine teams in my office (a shared service centre) where use of the telephone could be avoided, there are alternative forms of communication such as email & IM.
    Thanks for your response. Yes adjustments have been made to work surroundings but telephone conversations are a no go. This is a huge culture shock to organisations as most people talk on the phone. Sometimes meetings with lots of people is difficult too.
  • dosh1
    Many thanks. I am already aware of this.
  • dosh1
    When I was losing my hearing I managed for a while with a phone with an amplifier, although this only helped me to some extent (as you say, it's clarity rather than volume that counts). My present employers used the Access to Work scheme to buy an amplified phone and also a neckloop system to help me - as previously stated, your employers have to make reasonable adjustments to help you.

My hearing continued to deteriorate to the point where I couldn't use the phone at all, in fact I couldn't hold a face-to-face conversation without extreme difficulty, even with high power hearing aids. I then had a cochlear implant, which has transformed my life, and I am still working and can use the phone much more easily than before. I had many of the same fears as you about how I would carry on working as my hearing worsened. Implants don't work for everyone, but you might want to consider it as a possibility if your hearing does get worse.

Good luck :-)
    Thanks so much for your response. I can relate to everything you have mentioned about hearing deterioration. In fact it brought a tear to my eye as I had recently been thinking about a cochlear implant but feels a bit scary to be honest. Just curious. What type of hearing loss do you have. Mine is nerve endings. I was under the impression implants was not a possibility but in fairness I haven't sought professional advice yet.
  • dosh1
    dosh1 wrote: »
    Thanks so much for your response. I can relate to everything you have mentioned about hearing deterioration. In fact it brought a tear to my eye as I had recently been thinking about a cochlear implant but feels a bit scary to be honest. Just curious. What type of hearing loss do you have. Mine is nerve endings. I was under the impression implants was not a possibility but in fairness I haven't sought professional advice yet.
    PS Great news for you by the way. Please for you.
  • rosiepup2000
    rosiepup2000 Posts: 70 Forumite
    edited 1 October 2014 at 9:43PM
    dosh1 wrote: »

Hi, my hearing loss is sensorineural - the tiny hair cells in my ears just don't work any more - I think from what you say your hearing loss may be similar? Since I had my implant I've met lots of people who've had cochlear implants and those of us with this type of hearing loss who have lost our hearing as adults tend to get a good result, although there is no guaranteed outcome.

If you're getting to the point where you can't use the phone at all or hear in meetings (meetings are a nightmare when you can't hear, aren't they?), I would definitely encourage you to look into it. The quality of sound I get from the CI is so much better than hearing aids.

I hope I don't sound too evangelical about implants! I know it's a big step to take. But honestly, it's without a doubt the best thing I have ever done in my life. If there's anything you want to know about the surgery or the assessment process, just fire away.
    Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and adventure.
    Oliver Sachs 2015
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,018 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Finding a local lipreading class may be a help in extending your working life ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • dosh1
    Thanks so much. I am not too familiar with this forum in that can I send you a private message? I do have more questions but probably a public forum is not the best place to raise them. Are you aware if I can message you directly?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure