Credit card solely for work expenses?

Hello all,

Having returned to the UK from 5 years in Denmark I've recently had my old Danish Company credit card cancelled due to company accounting requirements.

I now find myself in a somewhat tough position, my UK credit score is pretty miserable (despite the last 5 years in Denmark being very good)

I've not yet attempted to apply for a credit card (I am looking at the Barclays Initial) But I am pretty certain I will be refused. I have taken the no mark test which reports that no file can be found with the credit bureau and I've unfortunately defaulted on a car insurance payment just at the end of last month (my pay came into my account the next day)

SO, I'm pretty sure I won't be successful.

Does anyone have any tips on what I might do seeing as the card would be used for work expenses only? I've been told that the UK office doesn't give out Credit Cards in the same way that the Danish office did... but if push comes to shove that might be an option (although it's not going to do my own credit rating much good)

Any other options out there I might have missed?

Comments

• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I don't think that insurance companies report to CRAs.

Re a CC, see Bad-credit Credit Cards (there is a soft eligibility checker in the article), but even if you get some, the credit limit will be very small and will hardly make any difference to you except starting building your credit history gradually.

So, your only options are either to ask for an advance payment for your work-related expenses or to save this amount yourself.
  • joeroyo wrote: »
    (although it's not going to do my own credit rating much good)

Any other options out there I might have missed?

Wont do it any good or harm for 99% of corporate credit cards.

Who did you bank with in Denmark? Do they have any UK branches? Some higher tier accounts do allow international switching when they operate in both countries (eg CitiBank and AmEx)
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,583
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    My company did want to do the admin associated with credit cards, but they had no issue with giving me a cash advance.
    You could try this as a suggestion.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport