Alternative to PayPal for accepting money

Hi
I have a business where I need to take a refundable deposit from clients as insurance for appointments not kept. I hadn't realised PayPal would charge quite so much and obviously as there is a charge, I am paying to take a deposit and refunding more than the client gives me!
So is there a way to have people pay money directly into my account online, without showing my sort code and account etc?
Many thanks.

Comments

• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 30 September 2014 at 12:18PM
    supersadie wrote: »
    ...So is there a way to have people pay money directly into my account online, without showing my sort code and account etc?
    No way unless they authorise you to collect payment(s) by a DD.

What's a problem with giving people your "sort code and account"? That's what they exist for after all.

Also, AFAIK, what you describe is a standard option for card payments, called, IIRC, pre-authorisation - when the amount is 'reserved', but not taken unless you process it as a payment later.
  • Thanks, Grumbler. I liked the neat interface on my website, but maybe there's a way to do something similar using e-commerce.
    I guess you're right about sort codes and account numbers. But it's always felt a bit unsafe, giving those out.
    Best wishes.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 29,932
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    You could always manage any perceived risk by setting up a bank account specifically for that purpose and clearing it out regularly to your main one?
  • Could you subtract the deposit held from the full cost,then the client only pays you the balance when they attend the appointment - no refund needed.
  • supersadie wrote: »
    Thanks, Grumbler. I liked the neat interface on my website, but maybe there's a way to do something similar using e-commerce.
    I guess you're right about sort codes and account numbers. But it's always felt a bit unsafe, giving those out.
    Best wishes.

Unsafe in what way? Nobody can do anything with those numbers alone.
    Credit 'Score' - Don't buy the credit 'score' that Experian, Equifax and Noddle want to sell you. It's an arbitrary number that means nothing when it comes to applying for credit.

ALWAYS HAVE A DIRECT DEBIT SET UP FOR THE MINIMUM PAYMENT ON YOUR CREDIT CARDS, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER YOU PLAN TO LOGIN AND PAY EACH MONTH.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 30 September 2014 at 3:30PM
    Unsafe in what way? Nobody can do anything with those numbers alone.
    They can set up a DD to themselves or to some other company.
    Yes, I know about the DD guarantee.
  • supersadie wrote: »
    Hi
    I have a business where I need to take a refundable deposit from clients as insurance for appointments not kept. I hadn't realised PayPal would charge quite so much and obviously as there is a charge, I am paying to take a deposit and refunding more than the client gives me!
    So is there a way to have people pay money directly into my account online, without showing my sort code and account etc?
    Many thanks.

If your bank account is with the Lloyds Banking Group, Santander or HSBC you could set up PAYM.

With this anyone registered just needs your mobile phone number to pay you.
  • Thanks for the PAYM info. I wasn't quite up to speed with that but I guess it's only a few months old. Also seen Pingit, which is similar.
    Appreciate your contributions, guys.
    Best wishes.:beer:
  • System
    System Posts: 178,074
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Not all accounts are Direct Debit compatible.

Saving accounts normally either have a sort code that does accept Direct Debits full stop or just a generic sort code but Direct Debit setup is automatically rejected if attempted.

That should be relatively safe for deposit payments.
    grumbler wrote: »
    They can set up a DD to themselves or to some other company.
    Yes, I know about the DD guarantee.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport