We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING:
Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour.

Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

What to do?

We put an offer in this morning for a house we really like. We offered just under 6% below asking price because it needs a fair bit of work. It's empty as the owner passed away, so her daughter is the vendor, and we're first time buyers so there's no chain.

It has sold once but it fell through, and the agent said they had a really low offer last week that was rejected. When we put our offer in they said there had been a few viewings over the weekend, but I'm pretty sure the agent that showed us round said he hadn't had any that weekend.

I think I've been watching too much Location Location Location as I was expecting them to call today, but we haven't heard I anything. I thought they would probably reject our first offer, but I wasn't expecting no reply at all.

What should we do now, just wait for a reply or chase the agent? I'm not sure if it's a good sign that they haven't rejected it and they're considering or if they're just waiting for a better offer. I'm so impatient, I've never been good at waiting!

Comments

  • ~Beanie~
    ~Beanie~ Posts: 3,043
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I would wait a little longer. Maybe they haven't been able to contact the vendor, she could have forgotten to take her phone to work (I do this quite often or has the kind of job where she is unable to take personal calls.
    :p
  • Thanks, I'm trying to stay positive. We really like this house so we're just impatient to find out what's going on. They're closing now so at least I can stop jumping every time the phone goes! :-)
  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,727
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    6% below asking for an empty property that needs work is plenty.
    It is costing the Vendor money each month ( empty council tax etc)
    Repairs and improvements always cost more than you think so hang onto that cash for the work.
    First and final offer as that is all we can afford but it is a lovely house and we will look after it and bring up two perfect kids !!!!
  • Thanks, you've put my mind at rest a bit. I was thinking we might have offered too low as they said they've already rejected a very low offer. The agent wasn't giving much away though, I'd love to know what it sold for first time.
  • Argghhh
    Argghhh Posts: 352 Forumite
    search on zoopla etc it may tell u original price. the best way forward is wait a couple of days, ring up and ask for feedback on your offer, if nothing just say the offer is on the table until the following weekend then you will make an offer on an alternative house you have viewed, shake em up a bit
  • DRP
    DRP Posts: 4,287
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I would just ring up as soon as possible - tomorrow afternoon or certainly wednesday- and stress that you would like an answer. I don't like playing silly beggars and dont' think the mind games really work - tell em you just need an answer, so that you can move on and find someone else to take your money!
  • I've searched zoopla but I can't really get an accurate guess, most of the houses are semi detached and this one is one of the few that are detached. There are only a few houses on the cul de sac it's on. There's no zoopla estimate, the lady must have lived there for years.

    I think my OH is going to call up tomorrow afternoon and say we want an answer soon.
  • Our first offer was rejected but they accepted our second :-) They've accepted on the basis that we move quickly so hopefully it will all go to plan!
  • MysteryMe
    MysteryMe Posts: 3,527
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    That's good news.
  • DRP
    DRP Posts: 4,287
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Our first offer was rejected but they accepted our second :-) They've accepted on the basis that we move quickly so hopefully it will all go to plan!

    great stuff!! fingers crossed for you :money:
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.