High interest current accounts - ok to withdraw the regular transfers in?

With various current accounts offering high interest rates, I'm wondering whether it is ok to meet their criteria for monthly deposits to get the high rate but to then transfer it straight out again?

For example, Nationwide Flex Direct only requires a monthly deposit of £1,000 (doesn't seem to need direct debits set up or anything else) to pay 5% AER on balances up to £2,500.

So, if I set up an account with £2,500 in and then transfer in £1,000 each month before shortly afterwards transferring that £1,000 back out again, will I basically be earning 5% on my balance of £2,500?

Have look through FAQs and other threads but can't readily see an answer to this. I can't see any terms that would proclude this but would like to check.

Thanks all!

Comments

  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    It's OK.........
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    hashterix wrote: »
    With various current accounts offering high interest rates, I'm wondering whether it is ok to meet their criteria for monthly deposits to get the high rate but to then transfer it straight out again?

    For example, Nationwide Flex Direct only requires a monthly deposit of £1,000 (doesn't seem to need direct debits set up or anything else) to pay 5% AER on balances up to £2,500.

    So, if I set up an account with £2,500 in and then transfer in £1,000 each month before shortly afterwards transferring that £1,000 back out again, will I basically be earning 5% on my balance of £2,500?

    Have look through FAQs and other threads but can't readily see an answer to this. I can't see any terms that would proclude this but would like to check.

    Thanks all!



    yes indeed


    many threads about with people who have 4/5 current a/cs and just transfer the min from one to the other in sequence.
  • Thanks both - sorry I missed the existing threads on this - didn't find a useful way to summarise my question in search terms so had to rely on visual scanning!
  • newthrift
    newthrift Posts: 1,252
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks this actually helps me, I had been wondering if to do something similar to this myself.
    Christmas is the most magical time of the year :santa2:
    Mum to two boys :heartpuls
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,033
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    It has to enter the account, but as a current account doesn't have to stay there.

    The only exception to this that I can think of is the Santander 123, which requires £3000 for the 3% interest rate, although it's advisable to keep more than this and pay bills directly from it.
    💙💛 💔
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,061
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    CLAPTON wrote: »
    yes indeed


    many threads about with people who have 4/5 current a/cs and just transfer the min from one to the other in sequence.


    only 4 or 5 current accounts? Lightweights :rotfl::rotfl:
  • CKhalvashi wrote: »
    The only exception to this that I can think of is the Santander 123, which requires £3000 for the 3% interest rate, although it's advisable to keep more than this and pay bills directly from it.

    Club Lloyds and BOS Vantage also have minimum levels for their maximum interest rates.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,498
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    CKhalvashi wrote: »
    It has to enter the account, but as a current account doesn't have to stay there.

    The only exception to this that I can think of is the Santander 123, which requires £3000 for the 3% interest rate, although it's advisable to keep more than this and pay bills directly from it.

    For clarity and to avoid any confusion where people think you can earn interest without money being in the account, on any of the accounts you need the appropriate money in there to get the interest rate eg for TSB up to £2000 per account. The only one that doesn't is Halifax and you can get £5 just moving the money in and out.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,033
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Thanks for correcting me guys, I was trying to think of another tiered account, but couldn't at the time.

    As most regular forum members know, English is not my first language, so I am grateful if I've not made something clear :)
    💙💛 💔
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards