Account Has Been In Late Payment For 6 Years

Options
Not sure how best to deal with this situation so any advice appreciated..

About 6 years ago in early 2008 I got into a bit of a mess credit wise, had some defaults etc, lots of missed payments, but in the time since have sorted everything else out, cleared some accounts, defaults mainly cleared... apart from one account.

It is a Natwest loan account that fell into arrears in 2008 and I made an arrangement to pay. That too failed and from October 2008 my arrangement to pay was marked as late, until May 2009 when it was just marked as sustained arrears. And it has remained that way ever since.

If it would have defaulted in Oct 2008, it would be clearing about now, but as there was no default I guess it will be staying there for the foreseeable future.

If I contact them about it now, could they issue a default dated Oct 2014 meaning it would remain on file until Oct 2020? What is the best way to deal with this, to ensure least impact on my credit situation?

Comments

• CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,064 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    It should be defaulted at max 6 months arrears; if you didn't get this far, then there will be little chance of a default.

Have you already complained to NW? What have they said, and on what grounds? I have a feeling it's technically correct.
    💙💛 💔
  • el_bandito_2
    Options
    Yes i thought it should have defaulted by now but it never has.

I have not had any contact from Natwest about it since September 2008, and have not made any contact with them.

Does this mean it will just be continually marked as sustained arrears each month?
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    el_bandito wrote: »
    Does this mean it will just be continually marked as sustained arrears each month?

Did you never bring payment up to date and in line?
  • happy_bunny_2
    Options
    Complain to NW that it should have defaulted after 6 months max.

When did you last pay or acknowledge in writing? May be statute barred.
    :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport