Car insurance for disabled drivers - does that include...

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
8 replies 1.5K views
Anonym0usAnonym0us Forumite
14 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
disabled drivers who do not need an additional adjustments to their car or additional support due to their disability (e.g. has DLA but no mobility component)?

Replies

• forgotmynameforgotmyname Forumite
    31.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there a specific insurer for disabled drivers?

Puzzled what your asking here?

Depending on the disability it maybe possible to drive a standard car.

You may only have one leg, But a standard automatic car could be suitable.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Fish Insurance offers insurance for disabled drivers.

I'm talking about a disability that does not affect ability to drive and does not require additional adoptions to the car but it's still a disability according to Equity Act 2010.
  • tomtom256tomtom256 Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Only thing to do would be to ask the insurance company as it's there policy so they would be best to advise on who and what is covered.
  • dori2odori2o Forumite
    8.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Usually you only have to worry if the condition you have, or the effects of the condition are notifiable to the DVLA.

If not then in most cases any insurance company is suitable.
    [SIZE=-1]To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
    [/SIZE]
  • My condition shouldn't affect my driving ability and it's not notifiable to DVLA. It doesn't require any adoptions to car.

I know this is missing the point of disability car insurance as they cover any adoptions to car but I would hate to miss out potential cheaper insurance premium if I never tried to contact them.

Conventional car insurance is quite high, so, this is the reason why I'm trying out all alternatives to reduce premium.
  • TOBRUKTOBRUK Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    If you don't have any disability that you have had to notify DVLA on and is not specified on your driving licence or car insurance policy then it is just a standard insurance.

I have found in the past that if you are specified as disabled driver your insurance is higher than would be as a 'normal' driver.
  • Recent changes to insurance, on the back of gender discrimination laws in principle would apply to disability discrimination.
    This may explicitly bar insurance being higher for specified disabled drivers - even if they are a higher risk.
    Of course - things only changed after a win in the european courts of justice.
  • edited 1 October 2014 at 9:30PM
    Anonym0usAnonym0us Forumite
    14 Posts
    edited 1 October 2014 at 9:30PM
    TOBRUK wrote: »
    If you don't have any disability that you have had to notify DVLA on and is not specified on your driving licence or car insurance policy then it is just a standard insurance.

I have found in the past that if you are specified as disabled driver your insurance is higher than would be as a 'normal' driver.

I'm aware of the fact it may cost more but I was hoping that the additional cost would be outweighed by money saved in premium due to less data on my postcode area and age and the fact that disabled drivers in my area are generally better drivers than chavs.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals