Forum Home» Phones & TV

Charged for services Virgin can't provide - grounds to complain?

New Post Advanced Search

Charged for services Virgin can't provide - grounds to complain?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
2 replies 951 views
Bmth100Bmth100 Forumite
1K posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
In April 2013, I moved into a flat with 3 other people and we signed into an 18 month Virgin Media contract for television, internet and a phone line.

Unfortunately, in October 2013, one of the tenant's parents became very ill and they moved to London with their partner, who was another of the tenants. This left 2 of us, who couldn't afford the rent and bills alone. We re-advertised the property with the estate agent, who found new tenants, but remained liable for Virgin.

When moving into our new property, we tried to arrange transfer of our Virgin services, but we were told the area has no service. Therefore, I called to see if I could end the contract early, but was told if I wanted to do this, I'd have to pay a disconnection fee, which I recall being around £300.

Therefore, since October 2013, I've been paying £50 per month for internet, television and a phone line that I have no access to. I enquired in March about cancellation again, at which point I was quoted £187.

I couldn't terminate early, as I couldn't afford this upfront fee on either occasion (who could?) and budgeted the £50 monthly so I could just about continue to pay it without damaging my credit rating. I've since been paying for Sky and Virgin simultaneously.

Now we've finally come to the end of our contract, I'm looking into whether there's a possibility I could receive a refund for the months in which we were not receiving the services. I fully appreciate that we signed a contract for 18 months, but we wanted to transfer our services and they couldn't provide the services to us.

Do I have any grounds to complain? Is it "our fault for moving home" (even though we had no choice)?

Any advice welcome.

Replies

• mije1983mije1983 Forumite
    3.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    This comes up almost daily, I'm thinking it should be added to a sticky! :D

Bmth100 wrote: »
    Now we've finally come to the end of our contract, I'm looking into whether there's a possibility I could receive a refund for the months in which we were not receiving the services.

Unfortunately there is no possibility whatsoever. Virgin were supplying the services. Whether they were used or not isn't important.

I fully appreciate that we signed a contract for 18 months, but we wanted to transfer our services and they couldn't provide the services to us.

Virgin agreed to supply you at the original address for 18 months, not you at any other address.

Do I have any grounds to complain? Is it "our fault for moving home" (even though we had no choice)?

No grounds at all I'm afraid. To put it bluntly, yes it is your fault for moving. Virgin had no say in your move. You could of course ask your 3 former housemates to pay a quarter, or attempt to sue the 2 that moved out for breaking the lease (obviously it depends on the terms of your agreement with each other).

Apart from that, just chalk it up to experience and move on. :)

• macmanmacman Forumite
    48.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    VM do not and do not claim to provide universal service-only about 60% of the UK has cable access.
    You are in breach of contract and the ETC is valid.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support