Working long notice period when job is redundant

I am being told my role is redundant as the work is to be performed by others etc, but I am also being to work my 1 year notice period.
If the job doesn't exist can they have me shuffling paper clips ie doing whatever they want? What job description to I work to?

May be it will be addressed in later meetings and appreciate the question could be directed to HR, but I would rather try and guess their plans.

Thanks

Comments

• adgl wrote: »
    I am being told my role is redundant as the work is to be performed by others etc, but I am also being to work my 1 year notice period.
    If the job doesn't exist can they have me shuffling paper clips ie doing whatever they want? What job description to I work to?

Basically yes I'm afraid.

Virtually all employments contracts have something to the effect of "such other duties as the company may require". Even if not it is arguably an implied term.

Obviously there may be scope for negotiation. If they are looking to save money they may agree to, say, six months pay in lieu of notice. There is no harm in asking.
  • hcb42
    hcb42 Posts: 5,962 Forumite
    1 year notice period? What do you do?
  • Thanks Undervalued. Yes that's way I expect it to go.
    Insurance.
  • How long have you been there?

What sort of package is on offer?
    Working the notice will clock up another years service.

depending on that it may be worth just getting on with finding something else in the mean time keep taking the money
  • adgl
    adgl Posts: 5
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    12 years in December so yes the notice period takes me into the extra year.
    Good severance offer.
    I'll push for clarity on what I'll be doing for the next year as my role is redundant.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    Push for clarity when your current job is redundant,what suitable alternatives they are offering if there is nothing when they are terminating the contract.

have you worked out why they want you out?

understanding the motives can help come up with acceptable settlement agreements.
  • adgl
    adgl Posts: 5
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Interesting thanks. Why would that be termination of the contract? Per the second post, most contracts, including mine, state "or such other duties" etc

I am a saving on the balance sheet. Only one to face redundancy.
    Thanks for the responses
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    There is an implied reasonable in "other"

you can't have an MD cleaning loos

so the key is what would be reasonable for your job, training, handovers support...

if they have any other work, why and how long is it suitable alternative.

if it is you are not redundant so not on notice...
  • hcb42
    hcb42 Posts: 5,962 Forumite
    The 1yr notice period doesnt seem right, unless you ARE the MD but then I guess you wouldnt be asking the question..

Even senior roles typically have a 3 month notice period, many jobs are only 1mo.
  • If you are saving on the balance sheet would you look at accepting a smaller payout to get out after 3 months etc?
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure