We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Virginia Creeper Just planted - was this a bad idea?

Hello all

I have just planted a virginia creeper, well two infact, against a wall in order to disguise the new brick of the extension that has been built onto the back of a victorian house. I have read conflicting advice on whether it can damage the house. The bricks are all sound, as they are new and there is no cracks or mortar missing. I also planted in a yellow flowered Jasmine plant. And two small normal ivy plants in the same spot. I have just read on the internet that the normal ivy can cause problems. Im not sure if I should remove the ivy?

Anyone had any experience with Virginia Creeper please?

Thank you

Comments

• I_have_spoken
    I_have_spoken Posts: 5,051 Forumite
    edited 27 September 2014 at 7:14AM
    I've had both, and would get rid of the ivy TBH. It's horrible stuff once it gets going and the roots do penetrate.

Virginia creeper attaches itself by sticking so there's far less chance of damage, at least until it gets to the gutters etc.

111edAyres1.jpg
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    I personally don't like ivy because it can damage bricks and is difficult to remove.

Best advise for the Virginia creeper is to keep it under control. My mum had one which got out of hand, grew into her garage, the neighbours garage and could be seen in numberous gardens in the houses below hers and across the road from those houses too. She eventually killed it off with oodles of weed killer over a couple of years. It's super pretty though and I love seeing it, especially at this time of year.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Two virginia creepers and two ivies? How big is your extension? :)

I'd keep the virginia creeper, but put the ivy some where else, yes, you will see the brick work in winter , but the virginia creeper will eventually leave a winter skeleton of branch.

Too much, you'll be just doing lots of work pulling it all off soon.
  • Remove the ivy now , The creeper will be fine but make sure you prune it every year so it doesn't take over, It does make a mess of the wall with its suckers, I remove ivy all year long from people's houses and it leaves a right mess on the walls best to get rid now rather than call me up in 4 years time
    Pure Dog Loving
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport