Broken TV - What are my rights?

Options
Hello,

We purchased a Samsung TV from John Lewis in February. We've had no problems until yesterday when it stopped working. I spoke to John Lewis today and they said to bring it in store tomorrow. However, she advised that the tv will be sent away and that it could be away between 3 and 5 weeks.

I'm not sure I'm happy with this as it was a very expensive tv and you'd have thought it would have lasted longer than 12 months! My partner wants to go in and ask for a new one tomorrow. However, I'm not sure on our "rights". If it was 6 months old I'd have thought maybe we could have argued for a new one, but as it's 7 months old I'm unsure.

Has anyone got any advice? I'd like to go into store armed with some knowledge.

Many thanks,

Vicki

Comments

• Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    They are within their rights to offer a repair only, you can request a replacement or a refund but they don't have to give you either as long as they are offering a remedy.

The remedy is not allowed to cause significant inconvenience but a TV is not an essential item but a luxury you'd be hard pressed to convince them you can't live without one.

The 3-5 weeks is probably a worst case scenario and it's likely to take a lot less time than that.
  • vabrahams1
    Options
    I didn't think we'd have any rights either :) thanks for clarification! Stops me looking silly in the shop tomorrow!

Maybe we'll get used to not having a tv! :)
  • PlutoinCapricorn
    Options
    My TV died at the end of June, and I have managed to live without it so far. They can be a big distraction, and take attention from important tasks.
    Who having known the diamond will concern himself with glass?

Rudyard Kipling

• gik
    gik Posts: 1,130 Forumite
    Options
    Fosterdog wrote: »
    They are within their rights to offer a repair only, you can request a replacement or a refund but they don't have to give you either as long as they are offering a remedy.

The remedy is not allowed to cause significant inconvenience but a TV is not an essential item but a luxury you'd be hard pressed to convince them you can't live without one.

The 3-5 weeks is probably a worst case scenario and it's likely to take a lot less time than that.

A good sensible reply.
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Options
    http://sogahub.tradingstandards.gov.uk/ if you are in any doubt about Fosterdog's reply.
  • bod1467
    Options
    I abhor such sales ploys where HD is bandied about several times, then you look closer and see 720p. :mad:
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    bod1467 wrote: »
    I abhor such sales ploys where HD is bandied about several times, then you look closer and see 720p. :mad:

I think the difference they usually use is HD and full HD.

HD means what you said, 720p where the full HD is 1080p.

HD tv's existed prior to full HD tvs and I think (in retailer/manufacturer logic anyway) that the old tvs are still HD, just the full HD ones surpass that.

Makes me wonder what they'll name future ones. HD3? lol
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • bod1467
    Options
    UHDTV or 4K is what they call it. :) (3840 x 2160 resolution)

We use them at my work in our high-end operating consoles (for the oil & gas industry).
  • visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,442 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    To be honest, the time when JL had to repair a TV in the family a temporary 'loaner' TV was provided when requested, cant be any harm in asking...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure