Insanity, anyone?

Options
Sorry if this has been posted before, but has anyone here done the Insanity Workouts with Shaun T?

I am on day five of week seven. As a runner I notice I have some advantages in that I have more stamina than some of Shaun's people. On the minus side I am not nearly as flexible and there are some things I have great difficulty doing, such as low plank high plank.

I'm 58 years old and also run at least five miles a day, usually 10k, and also do weights and swimming at the gym. Needless to say I am big on fitness. I think good fitness is essential to a good life and I encourage anyone who is not fit to make it one if their passions. You won't regret it!

Back to the original point. Anyone done it? Anyone thinking of doing it?

Comments

• hysteria1989
    Options
    Hi. i finished my first round of Insanity about a month ago and i loved it. Shaun was great and i could really feel a improvement in myself and i shed a ton of weight. just having a month off at the moment then going to move on to the Asylum.
    Car[STRIKE]£6950[/STRIKE]/£4720.68 Lowell [STRIKE]£796.77[/STRIKE]/£30.00 Barclaycard[STRIKE] £3537.48[/STRIKE]/£2360 Virgin (MBNA) [STRIKE]£2224.94[/STRIKE]/£1000.00
    Sainsbury's (Westcot) [STRIKE]£1652.52/[/STRIKE]£125
    total debt [STRIKE]£19286.89[/STRIKE]/£8235.68
  • heartbreak_star
    Options
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
  • fairy_lights
    Options
    I did Insanity earlier this summer, my fitness improved hugely but I didn't really lose any weight. I developed some slight definition around my stomach but no other visible changes, I didn't change my diet though and was still eating enough chocolate to feed a village so not surprising really! it's true what they say, you can't out exercise a bad diet.
    It was definitely still worth it for the improvements in fitness though and the feeling of achievement. The only problem I had with it was the length of the workouts, getting home from a long day at work and then spending an hour on insanity every day was just too much, it took up so much of my spare time.
    I'm considering doing it again but if I do I won't stick to the schedule and will do it maybe 3 or 4 times a week spread out over a longer period of time.
  • lotte8
    lotte8 Posts: 357 Forumite
    Options
    Insanity is a great program and will really get your fitness levels up. As much as I love insanity though it can play havoc with some peoples knees. Top tip either do it bear foot or minamilist trainers. Wearing running shoes is a big no no for this programme.

Shaun T has done another programme as well called T25. Which surprisingly enough is 25 minutes a day It is 4 weeks of basic stuff to get your body ready for exercise, then 4 weeks of decent level cardio and body weight then there is an optional 3rd 4 weeks which will concentrate on cardio using light weights to tone you up.
    You could also mix this with p90x3 which is a fantastic programme for strength and flexibility. Lots of yoga, pilates and isometrix exercises with some cardio/weights/body weight stuff thrown in.

You have mentioned that you do weights, the p90x series especially p90x2 could be a great programme for you to look at as well. P90x2 is pretty much considered with Insanity as the pinnacle of home workouts. If you google dysfunctional parrot then you can read some spot on reviews of the programmes I mentioned.

If you buy those programms you are looking at about £100 for each, although you can "acquire" them for free if you catch my drift.

Heads up as well in December there will be a programme called Inanity max 30. Basically insanity but 30 minutes instead of 45-60 minutes
  • thx1138
    thx1138 Posts: 353 Forumite
    Options
    lotte8 wrote: »
    Insanity is a great program and will really get your fitness levels up. As much as I love insanity though it can play havoc with some peoples knees. Top tip either do it bear foot or minamilist trainers. Wearing running shoes is a big no no for this programme.

Shaun T has done another programme as well called T25. Which surprisingly enough is 25 minutes a day It is 4 weeks of basic stuff to get your body ready for exercise, then 4 weeks of decent level cardio and body weight then there is an optional 3rd 4 weeks which will concentrate on cardio using light weights to tone you up.
    You could also mix this with p90x3 which is a fantastic programme for strength and flexibility. Lots of yoga, pilates and isometrix exercises with some cardio/weights/body weight stuff thrown in.

You have mentioned that you do weights, the p90x series especially p90x2 could be a great programme for you to look at as well. P90x2 is pretty much considered with Insanity as the pinnacle of home workouts. If you google dysfunctional parrot then you can read some spot on reviews of the programmes I mentioned.

If you buy those programms you are looking at about £100 for each, although you can "acquire" them for free if you catch my drift.

Heads up as well in December there will be a programme called Inanity max 30. Basically insanity but 30 minutes instead of 45-60 minutes

Thanks Lotte. Much good info in your comments.

I think what makes Insanity such a brilliant programme is the street cred you get for completing it. Presumably you get a tee shirt (though do you have to be a paying Beach Body member? If so it isn't free! I have the before pic and my wife will be taking the after when I'm done.) Also, it ends, and I'm sure a lot if people find that attractive too!

For my part I'm going to keep doing it. Once I get to the end of sixty days I'm going to rewind and start it over.

Insanity is for life, not just for Christmas.
  • heartbreak_star
    Options
    thx1138 wrote: »

For my part I'm going to keep doing it. Once I get to the end of sixty days I'm going to rewind and start it over.

Insanity is for life, not just for Christmas.

I said that and got super bored by day 72 - mix it up with some other workouts!

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

#Bremainer
  • thx1138
    thx1138 Posts: 353 Forumite
    Options
    I said that and got super bored by day 72 - mix it up with some other workouts!

HBS x

I'm actually casting around for a really good weight-lifting routine. I have a fantastic array of free weights available to me by way of my health club.

Any ideas? I am particularly interested in weight training regimens for runners. Thanks.
  • lotte8
    lotte8 Posts: 357 Forumite
    Options
    I'm actually casting around for a really good weight-lifting routine. I have a fantastic array of free weights available to me by way of my health club.

Any ideas? I am particularly interested in weight training regimens for runners. Thanks.

Search for Tony Horton on youtube. He is the p90x guy but he does a lot of free videos which are around 12-15 minutes. His stuff is free weights and body weight. He is also big into yoga and pilates but you can just pick and choose your video and tag it on the end of your insanity. His manner is a bit marmite but I like his training and it is really easy to follow. If you like his style look at the p90x series. 1 and 2 are 1 hour ish a day, 3 is 30 minutes a day.
    You can also look at Insanity Asylum. That will really mess you up (in a good way).
  • heartbreak_star
    Options

StrongLifts is good :)

Stay away from the machines as much as possible. Use barbells and dumbbells instead :) squats, deadlifts, rows and presses are godd all-round lifts.

HBS x

#Bremainer
  • Cyberman60
    Options
    My belief is that you can overdo exercise. My brother was a fitness fanatic with a home gym and died at 59 and my dad used to go in the gym doing weights until he had a stroke the day after that.

Over-exercise depletes the body's resources, lowers the immune system, and prematurely wears out the joints etc.

It is obviously important to be active but many people that lead long lives have never really done much more than walking and gardening. Moderate regular exercise is the key IMO. :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure