Electrics: a fair quote?

Options
Voyager2002
Voyager2002 Posts: 15,284 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 26 September 2014 at 12:23AM in Is this quote fair?
OK, what should this lot cost?

• Upgrade consumer unit to 17th Edition RCBO item
• Install new earth bonding circuits to gas and water supplies
• Upgrade main earthing conductor
• Upgrade meter tails
• Replace bathroom fan with centrifugal inline fan
Full test and NICEIC part p notification

This is a house that is nearly fifty years old, and the fuse board is the original installation from when it was built and so not compliant with current regulations. Upgrading the fuse board would involve putting in RCB protection.

Clearly this is a lot of work, but the quote is an enormous amount of money.

Comments

• Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    Difficult to say
    - how many circuits
    - is any remedial work required to the wiring
    - is access to the cables good

For a straightforward job, 10 circuits on 2 RCDs, about £500 excluding the cost of the fan (centrifugal fans can be expensive) and VAT.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,284 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well, thank you.

The quote is 410 and I thought that was a lot. I think only one or two circuits...
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    If you really only have one or two circuits then your house probably needs rewiring.

A minimum would usually be lights / sockets / cooker / immersion. On new installations 2 lighting circuits and 2 or 3 socket circuits would be the minimum in most houses.

£410 for a consumer unit change is a bit suspiciously cheap for a proper job, with certificates and through the books.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • fluffpot
    fluffpot Posts: 1,264 Forumite
    Options
    if the fuse board is 50 years old, then the wiring is highly likely to be the same age. Putting RCBO's on old wiring is going to result in tripping circuits. Quote sounds very cheap to me. I'd get a second opinion - which might be a lot more than £410!
  • smifffy1989
    Options
    I would have the wiring checked too as it may be rubberised wires which can perish over time.
    Start Feb 2013 £148,900
    Initial MFD Feb 2043 --- Target Feb 2035
    Current balance [STRIKE]Jan 2014 £146,652[/STRIKE], Nov 2014 £143,509

:beer:Current MFD Oct 2042 (5 Months Early) :beer:
    2013 OP: £255 / 2014 OP: £815
  • brightontraveller
    Options
    Why are you upgrading? It doesn’t need to meet current regs there not retrospective?
    If its only two circuits entire house then rcbo rcd etc you’d be asking for trouble? If there talking of just adding RCD RCBO protection to two circuits but there are other circuits that’s not a good route either Not many of that age haven’t had plenty of extras added over the years 50 year old installation is coming towards the end of its life but if you think £410 is high you’ll not want to spend on a rewire most good electricians would walk away unfortunatly that leaves the scare mongers and bodgers neither would I recommend touch the installation
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure