We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Can I buy a flat with shop below?
Boogiecat
Posts: 29 Forumite
Hi, I wonder if anyone has experience or advice for the following situation:
I'm selling my flat and doing my homework on Rightmove ( for homework read torturing myself with houses I can't buy till I sell mine!) I've seen a gorgeous flat - 4 bedrooms, lovely sunny courtyard at the back, but it's classed as a commercial property as there is a shop beneath.
To me it's a no-brainer: buy it to live in and rent the shop out which will cover most of the mortgage payments, OR buy it to live in AND open a shop myself ( which I've been thinking about recently). It's in the area I want to be, the area has undergone development and a facelift and is very up-and-coming as a tourist attraction, the price is right, and there are other similar shops in the same area for the stuff I would be selling (cumulative attraction rather than competition). High footfall, free on-street parking, you get the picture.
Now, my mortgage company won't lend on the basis that the residential part of the property is more than 40% of the building. Can anyone recommend a good lender for that?
Although I have managed a shop for 10 years (over 15 years ago) , I have never owned one, so have no idea how much extra I would have to pay in business rates etc. I already know a bit about public liability insurance as I have been self employed before.
Can anyone please point me in the right direction?
Many thanks. :-)
I'm selling my flat and doing my homework on Rightmove ( for homework read torturing myself with houses I can't buy till I sell mine!) I've seen a gorgeous flat - 4 bedrooms, lovely sunny courtyard at the back, but it's classed as a commercial property as there is a shop beneath.
To me it's a no-brainer: buy it to live in and rent the shop out which will cover most of the mortgage payments, OR buy it to live in AND open a shop myself ( which I've been thinking about recently). It's in the area I want to be, the area has undergone development and a facelift and is very up-and-coming as a tourist attraction, the price is right, and there are other similar shops in the same area for the stuff I would be selling (cumulative attraction rather than competition). High footfall, free on-street parking, you get the picture.
Now, my mortgage company won't lend on the basis that the residential part of the property is more than 40% of the building. Can anyone recommend a good lender for that?
Although I have managed a shop for 10 years (over 15 years ago) , I have never owned one, so have no idea how much extra I would have to pay in business rates etc. I already know a bit about public liability insurance as I have been self employed before.
Can anyone please point me in the right direction?
Many thanks. :-)
0
Comments
-
https://www.gov.uk/introduction-to-business-rates
http://www.2010.voa.gov.uk/rli/static/HelpPages/English/faqs/faq146-what_are_the_current_multipliers.html
Busines Rate = Ratable value * Multiplier (45p average ).
So if Ratable value = £10000, BR = £4500.000 -
Thanks rps2!0
-
All the best I did this 15 years ago, and live over the shop. Once I've paid off the mortgage it means the shop rent is mine to live on. Or, open one of those shops that never seems to sell anythingI've seen a gorgeous flat - 4 bedrooms, lovely sunny courtyard at the back, but it's classed as a commercial property as there is a shop beneath.
I'd recommend seeking out a local insurance broker. The small additional cost in fees is worth it for the local and market knowledge you'll get.
I did once have somebody offer to buy the shop off me, but I didn't know how to value it for sale compared to the rent I would get.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards