We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Contents Insurance

I am not sure if I am posting this in the right place but please feel free to move it :)

I have been renting since July this year and want to know about contents insurance please, any advice will be great.

Is it important to have contents Insurance? Does it cover for everything around the house I.E laptops, t.v and jewllery etc.

We live in a very secure block of flats on 1st floor and have double lock on our front door, so I am 2 minds about getting contents Insurance. I have been advised to get it by my work colleagues.

Please Advice
Thanks
«1

Comments

  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Eighth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Say there was a fire. Could you afford to replace your clothes, jewellery, electrical goods, and whatever other belongings you have?
  • Thanks for putting it like that pixie5740. It's working out to be £11-£12 a month but I know it will help in the long run :)
  • I was looking recently as I am purchasing a flat and my contents was coming up at 63 pound a year which included accidental ect, go through the comparison sites hey you may even get a free meerkat.
  • MrJester
    MrJester Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I rent a ROOM in a shared house. And I have contents insurance, costs around £20 a month because I have some valuable electornics, I could not afford to replace them if they were stolen or broke out of guarantee etc. So well worth it. Can't be too careful in London ^_^'
  • Lol thanks Cade Foster i will try that and I would love a free meerkat with my contents Insurance.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,483 Community Admin
    10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    I've paid £63 for a years contents ins with Sainsbury's they have a higher allowance for individual items.
    This is a system account and does not represent a real person. To contact the Forum Team email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Bart1
    Bart1 Posts: 170 Forumite
    Personally I have never brought any insurance not required by law or mortgage.... The difference between insurers and bookmakers is that bookmakers are honourable ...... If your horse wins the bookie pays you with a smile..... If your house gets burgled the insurers consult the small print to find a way not to pay you
  • System
    System Posts: 178,483 Community Admin
    10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Bart1 wrote: »
    Personally I have never brought any insurance not required by law or mortgage.... The difference between insurers and bookmakers is that bookmakers are honourable ...... If your horse wins the bookie pays you with a smile..... If your house gets burgled the insurers consult the small print to find a way not to pay you

    your choice
    This is a system account and does not represent a real person. To contact the Forum Team email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Thanks for putting it like that pixie5740. It's working out to be £11-£12 a month but I know it will help in the long run :)

    That sounds expensive. I pay £13 for buildings and contents on my house in a not so great area of Sheffield.

    Why not be really money saving and sign up to a cashback site such as quidco, get your contents insurance and some cashback!
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • sammyjammy wrote: »
    That sounds expensive. I pay £13 for buildings and contents on my house in a not so great area of Sheffield.

    Why not be really money saving and sign up to a cashback site such as quidco, get your contents insurance and some cashback!

    Thanks for the suggestion sammyjammy i will go through quidco :)
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.