We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Trouble with landlord

Hello,

Would appreciate some advice about my rights, and who I can escalate to if necessary?

I viewed a room in a flat several weeks ago and was told there was a king size bed. I agreed to rent the room. The landlord then pressured me to pay the deposit and first month's rent before I saw and signed the contract - I was wary but told by friends this is common practice.

When I signed the contract I was surprised to discover my room had two single beds making up a kingsize bed. On discovering this I asked if I could move my own bed in and was told no as the landlord has nowhere to store the two beds.

Once I moved in I then found out that the two single beds were in fact two divan bases, of different heights, with no matress. Only a very thin cover - about 2.5 inches. I asked the landlord again whether he could remove/replace the beds and he said no. He also said a previous tenant had bought the beds and he'd never seen them and didn't know there were two. I then took a photo and sent it to him explaining there was no matress at all, and he immediately realised there was a problem and agreed I could get a new bed - he asked me to find something and tell him the price.

I've sent him a bed for £200 and a matress for £200 and now he has come back and said as a single person I can only have a single bed. But when I viewed the room I was told (and it looked like) there was a double bed, so I don't think that's acceptable at all. He is saying I should be able to find a single bed and matress for £200 total.

Lastly he told me to dump the current beds by the bins. I've objected to this as they will be considered bulky items and so need to be removed - I don't want to flytip. But he is insisting I just dump them.

Do I have any recourse? At the moment my bed is not acceptable and I wake up very achey every morning.

Thanks!

Comments

  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Eighth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    In your situation I would ask the LL to pay for the uplift of the bulky items and buy my own bed myself. That way I could get exactly what I wanted rather than just a cheap frame and a cheap mattress. I'd also be taking the bed with me when I left. Finally, I would get the disposal of the current beds in WRITING from the LL.

    Out of curiosity, what does it say about the beds on the inventory?
  • Your landlord sounds like hard work, personally I would look to move as soon as the lease allows it.

    The previous answer is right in my view, get EVERYTHING in writing from now on as it sounds like the landlord cannot be trusted.
  • Thanks all. So far everything is in email communication.

    The inventory says 2 single beds which make up a kingsize bed - stupidly I'd already paid the deposit by the time I saw that though as he insisted. However I don't think it's ok as there is no matress

    I am only 2 weeks into a 12 month contract. I could buy my own bed but figure that will give me less choice if/when I move out as most rented rooms come fully furnished in this area.

    Update: having told me I could get rid of the beds and get a single (!) the landlord has now come back and said there is no problem with the current beds and I can't change them because the previous tenants had no problem. I don't think that should matter - a divan base should come with a mattress and I shouldn't suffer because the previous tenants had low standards. He has suggested that if I am unhappy I move if I find someone to replace me. Obviously that's making me feel quite uncomfortable, but is also not practical as I paid to move all my stuff here and am currently working away from home during the week so won't have much time to find somewhere, plus would not feel okay lying to new potential tenants about the bed.

    So can I do anything?
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.