Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Leaving BT and refusal to refund line rental

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
27 replies 13.1K views
homehunterhomehunter Forumite
173 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
On hold as I type! Having received the email about price hikes I have spoken to BT customer options and they can't offer me a good enough deal to stay with BB and calls (no TV). So MAC has just been processed and they confirm I can leave penalty free as I have contacted them within 30 days of email.

But.

Despite being told over web chat yesterday by 'Kumar' that unused line rental up to March 2015 would be refunded, Carl in Customer Options says it will not, I cannot take a complaint forward and as their webchat is on a different operating system. I can try using web chat to obtain a record of the chat where he sated it would be refunded but as it stands BT refuse to take my complaint forward and state that the 14 day cooling off period for line rental saver has passed.

I am effectively being held to ransom by BT! I want to leave for a better deal elsewhere, I should be able to as stated in my email and I am out of contract for calls and BB now, but because I foolishly tried to save money by paying line rental upfront they are effectively forcing me to accept paying line rental twice between now and March if I go with a different provider. This absolutely stinks. Has anyone taken this further eg Ofcom? Really, really annoyed about this, I've had nothing but bad experiences with BT and was looking forward to cancelling.

Replies

• edited 25 September 2014 at 3:45PM
    bsms1147bsms1147 Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 25 September 2014 at 3:45PM
    Is my Line Rental Saver payment refundable?
    No, unless you change your mind about wanting Line Rental Saver within seven working days of paying.
    http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13962/~/bt-line-rental-saver-discount

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/dynamicmodules/pagecontentfooter/pageContentFooterPopup.jsp?pagecontentfooter_popupid=24641&s_cid=con_FURL_calls_offerterms (suggests 14 days instead)

Seems unfair since my experience of TalkTalk is that they do refund pro rata.

I imagine it's all in the contract/paperwork you received at the time.
  • Ultimately if I had gone DD (thus paying them an extra chunk of money for the privilege of spreading payments) then I wouldn't have this issue - DD would be cancelled, no other fees for leaving, job done. So yes, it is unfair and plain wrong. I have seen elsewhere that people have got pro rata refunds on their line rental saver so why not me?
  • bsms1147 wrote: »
    http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13962/~/bt-line-rental-saver-discount

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/dynamicmodules/pagecontentfooter/pageContentFooterPopup.jsp?pagecontentfooter_popupid=24641&s_cid=con_FURL_calls_offerterms (suggests 14 days instead)

Seems unfair since my experience of TalkTalk is that they do refund pro rata.

I imagine it's all in the contract/paperwork you received at the time.

The way the contracts are set up ie you normally have to have an 18 month contract for BB etc, but line rental is 12 months, they have it all tied up - yes, we are hiking our prices, and yes, you can leave 'penalty free', but actually you can't really because we'll keep 6 months worth of your money. There is no way I would know within 14 days (or whatever it is) of paying my line rental that I would need/want to change my calls and BB provider when the contract for those is up. It's an absolute nonsense.
  • QuentinQuentin Forumite
    40.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    homehunter wrote: »
    On hold as I type! Having received the email about price hikes I have spoken to BT customer options and they can't offer me a good enough deal to stay with BB and calls (no TV). So MAC has just been processed and they confirm I can leave penalty free as I have contacted them within 30 days of email.

But.

Despite being told over web chat yesterday by 'Kumar' that unused line rental up to March 2015 would be refunded, Carl in Customer Options says it will not, I cannot take a complaint forward and as their webchat is on a different operating system. I can try using web chat to obtain a record of the chat where he sated it would be refunded but as it stands BT refuse to take my complaint forward and state that the 14 day cooling off period for line rental saver has passed.

I am effectively being held to ransom by BT! I want to leave for a better deal elsewhere, I should be able to as stated in my email and I am out of contract for calls and BB now, but because I foolishly tried to save money by paying line rental upfront they are effectively forcing me to accept paying line rental twice between now and March if I go with a different provider. This absolutely stinks. Has anyone taken this further eg Ofcom? Really, really annoyed about this, I've had nothing but bad experiences with BT and was looking forward to cancelling.
    They tried this first line customer service refusal last year at price increase time.

You need to escalate this as a complaint.

Lots about this in this thread: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=63688404&highlight=#post63688404

see #339
  • force_tenforce_ten Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    by taking the line rental saver you are saving around two months line rental, to take advantage of this offer you pay in advance and agree to being tied in for twelve months

i used to pay line rental saver yearly but this year have not renewed and gone back to monthly DD

good luck with you quest but i would say you are onto a loser
    40.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    force_ten wrote: »

good luck with you quest but i would say you are onto a loser
    No

Ofcom say different! BT know that. They are trying it on with the OP.
  • teddysmumteddysmum Forumite
    9.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    All providers ,offering line rental saver, appear to have the same policy.

However, about this time, last year, some people who moved to Sky from a combination of O2 and BT, did take their complaint further and, I believe , were told that they could get their money back.

I don't know whether they actually did get repaid, but bearing in mind that paying in advance saved about 25% ,( and assuming a full cost of £16 for ease of calculation), rental paid would be £12, compared with £16 full price.

Having a refund would remove entitlement to the reduced rate so £144 paid (12x£12)minus £112 (7x£16) leaves just £32; less with rental until changeover being due.
  • I had the same problem with BT, when I sold my apartment in London they told me I was due a refund of over £40. However I never received any repayment from them and despite many emails they refused to communicate eventually. I would never use BT again and I was able to persuade all my near relatives and several friends to move to other internet providers.
  • Thanks for replies ad link to that thread. I would say it is worth a shot too - I have just managed to obtain a transcript of yesterday's chat with the overseas chap:

ME: So if I do decide to leave BT for a cheaper phone and broadband deal elsewhere, will there be no exit fees or charges at all? Also, will there be a refund for the line rental paid upfront to March 2015 please?
    [06:25:38 PM] Kumar Abhijeet: Yes, all the advance charge will be refunded and if you wish to move to another service provider, you should take MAC code to avoid penalty of £30.
    [06:26:08 PM] Kumar Abhijeet: If you wil take the MAC code you will not be charged any cancellation charge.

So not only have other people successfully taken this complaint forward, I've got evidence to show I was told otherwise by a different BT person. It probably amounts to around £50 which I don't think is insignificant. Given that the MAC could take 5 days to appear I might fire off an email to the CEO as mentioned in that other thread...
    40.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    teddysmum wrote: »

Having a refund would remove entitlement to the reduced rate so £144 paid (12x£12)minus £112 (7x£16) leaves just £32; less with rental until changeover being due.

No.

You get a full pro rata refund.

In your example it would have been £60 (£144 - £84 (7 x £12) )
This discussion has been closed.