Unauthorised paypal transaction

Options
I have just had an email saying that an outgoing transaction, of which I know nothing at all, of several hundred pounds has gone through on my paypal account. I am trying to report it to paypal now, although I am currently unable to get through on the telephone. What do I do now? It is apparently for a phone, I have not ordered anything though. I am really worried.

Thanks.

Comments

• ~Beanie~
    ~Beanie~ Posts: 3,043 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you actually checked your PayPal account, by logging into PayPal yourself and not by clicking a link that may appear in the email? Is it addressed to you personally, does it start Dear madmoneysavingmum? PayPal always use your name.

Chances are it's spam and should just be deleted.
    :p
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,352 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've received lots of emails over the years concerning unknown payments on my PayPal account. The only problem is that I don't actually have a PayPal account!

Start by assuming that the email is fake, and logging onto PayPal as you normally would. Don't click on any links in the email. Then when you're logged in, you can see what's really happening.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • Geodark
    Geodark Posts: 1,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have just had an email saying that an outgoing transaction, of which I know nothing at all, of several hundred pounds has gone through on my paypal account. I am trying to report it to paypal now, although I am currently unable to get through on the telephone. What do I do now? It is apparently for a phone, I have not ordered anything though. I am really worried.

Thanks.

If you clicked on a link in the email you got I would seriously log straight in and change your password now - I have to say it does sound like a phishing email.
  • madmoneysavingmum
    Options
    Hi, Thank you for the responses. I also assumed it was a phishing email and was about to delete when I found I also had a transaction confirmation email from ebay for the same amount. I have not bought anything. I did not click the links, but logged in separately to my ebay and paypal accounts. It was not phishing, my paypal account was missing the amount said, the transaction was listed on my ebay account. I have not bought anything on ebay, let alone a phone. Have now got through to ebay who have cancelled the transaction, and paypal who have returned the money but say they have the right to take it back again at any time until the dispute is resolved, so another 10 days. I have obviously changed all my passwords, but I am still concerned in case paypal take my money back. Thanks, MMSM
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure