Forum Home» Phones & TV

IKEA sofas and sofa beds - are they any good?

New Post Advanced Search

IKEA sofas and sofa beds - are they any good?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
2 replies 1.4K views
ToTheLighthouseToTheLighthouse Forumite
1 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
Hi everyone! I've been looking at these on IKEA's website, they're very competitive prices, but are they good quality? Anyone have any advice for me please?

Replies

• I've had an ikea sofa and chairs for the last couple of months.

Was delivered in a mass of packaging (which is worth thinking about...had to try and persuade the person at the tip that it wasn't trade waste on my third car load...)

Fitting it together took a couple of hours and the finished result wasn't great at first. It's modular and the modules fit together on big hooks. Where two of the modules fitted together there was just a big gap, that you could see daylight through. Had to remove the hooks and drill holes through then add my own nuts and bolts to hold it together more closely. There goes the warranty.

Once assembled it looks nice enough, stylish, good fabric. And it's *really* comfy....but after a couple of months, the seats are starting to sag a little...Not a lot, but a little. Needs some fluffing.

A large spring section has also fallen to the ground underneath. As it's no longer modular (doh) we've not been able to have a look and see what's going on...but probably not great. (although my kitten seems to enjoy using it to scratch his back...so every cloud...)

So, in summary, it's not without its faults...certainly much lower quality than I normally expect from ikea... and I imagine I'll need to buy something else in 2/3 years...but then it was less than half the price of an equivalent sofa from Furniture Village etc which I'd only expect to last 5 years anyway...

Pays your money, takes your choice.
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Er .... on the Phones & TV forum?
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support