MSE News: Former Sky customer? You may be in line for a refund

A number of former Sky TV, broadband and home phone customers who were in credit when they left may be due a refund...
Read the full story:

Former Sky customer? You may be in line for a refund

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• I've moved house since cancelling with Sky pre 2012 - is there an address to write to to see whether or not I've been sent a letter?

Thanks
  • jarviser
    jarviser Posts: 29 Forumite
    I have been offered just over £10.
    My history is that in 2005 I cancelled the contract at the end of the minimum 12 months and have been legally enjoying "FreeSky" for 9 years. At one time I needed to buy a freesky card to continue to get channel 5 but that is also now unscrambled.
    They owe me nothing! They can keep it.
    May not be a scam but possibly an attempt to contact old customers. Otherwise why not just send a cheque, or process the credit and see if it fails?
  • Wow... I just got over £20 back from an account that was closed many many years ago. Cheque due next week.

As an ex-customer, just login to your account with your Sky ID... see if you are in credit and if so then live chat with accounts and billing.

Sweet.
  • TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Got the letter - rang the free number ( automated process , no need to speak to a human operator), refund cheque arrived 4 days later (£15).

Nice surprise.
  • trinidadone
    trinidadone Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    TonyMMM wrote: »
    Got the letter - rang the free number ( automated process , no need to speak to a human operator), refund cheque arrived 4 days later (£15).

Nice surprise.

what number did you ring, and do you need to enter any information on the keypad?
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
  • TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 22 January 2015 at 11:43AM
    The number on the letter ( 08081 014 437) and keyed in my account number - also shown on the letter.
  • Caddyman
    Caddyman Posts: 342 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    TonyMMM wrote: »

Nice surprise.

I got a cheque from Sky this morning for £14. I haven't been a customer of theirs since 2006 and nor do I ever want anything to do with them again. I'll cash it tomorrow. I initially thought the whole thing was a scam. Mmm, a refund with no interest earned on my money that they've been holding onto for eight years. How does that work?
  • leespot
    leespot Posts: 554 Forumite
    Thanks again to MSE. I checked an old account for my parents and they now have a cheque for £14.53 on the way :)
  • This is a very poor show from Sky (but entirely true to form). They keep former customers' money for over 3 years (2012 - 2015) - over 5 years in some cases (based on posts here) and don't add a penny in interest. They would have realised they held a credit on dormant or closed accounts long before this (2014/15).

Worse than that they send a letter to the address they hold from pre-2012 in the hope you have moved home and won't receive the letter so they can keep your money (they could simply credit your last bank account).

The phone number in the letter is simply an automated service which despatches a cheque to the address you were a customer at (no option to speak to a human being, the call just terminates if you do not enter the account number on the letter).

My partner received this letter dated 21 Jan sent to an address she rents out now. We phoned Sky (customer service, option: payments) they point blank refused to add interest. They did agree to credit the money (£28) to a bank account rather than send a cheque to the former address. It took 25 minutes on the phone to India to achieve this - which is why we haven't been Sky TV customers since 2010. They don't appear to have improved the service since we left as very unhappy customers back then.
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Jerry2014 wrote: »

Worse than that they send a letter to the address they hold from pre-2012 in the hope you have moved home and won't receive the letter so they can keep your money (they could simply credit your last bank account).

I'd have thought the odds of moving a bank account in the last three years is higher than the odds of moving house in the same period for many people so your argument is an odd one.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family