Halifax overdraft passed to debt collectors

Options
Hello, wondered if someone can help.

I had an account with Halifax that went in to overdraft. I moved flat and was unaware that a small payment had taken it into overdraft. I was unaware until a few months later when I realised there was £100 in charges that had piled up.

The account has been closed and passed to a debt collection agency. They have been calling me every day but I haven't been answering, as I want to claim the charges back.

I sent letters to Halifax, which didn't work, and I have taken it to the Financial Ombudsman, but they aren't going to do anything about it.

The total debt is £168.89. I owe £58 from withdrawals, and I am willing to pay that back. But I want to know if there's any other way I could claim back the charges of £108?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    You'll never be successful in having bank charges refunded from an account which has defaulted, been closed down and gone for debt collection.
    The Bank and the Ombudsman has already informed you of this, so there really is no point in persisting.
  • OhReally_2
    Options
    Hello, wondered if someone can help.

I had an account with Halifax that went in to overdraft. I moved flat and was unaware that a small payment had taken it into overdraft. I was unaware until a few months later when I realised there was £100 in charges that had piled up.

The account has been closed and passed to a debt collection agency. They have been calling me every day but I haven't been answering, as I want to claim the charges back.

I sent letters to Halifax, which didn't work, and I have taken it to the Financial Ombudsman, but they aren't going to do anything about it.

The total debt is £168.89. I owe £58 from withdrawals, and I am willing to pay that back. But I want to know if there's any other way I could claim back the charges of £108?

So let me get this straight.

You borrowed some money from Halifax, and then moved. Did you tell them? Presumably not, and that is why you have only later discovered the £10 charges applied, the fact the bank then felt they had no option but to close your account and pass it to a DCA.

Despite the DCA calling you, you have opted not to answer the calls (nor presumably call them back).

You now owe £168.89, based on initial borrowings of £58.

Why are you not willing to pay back all you owe?
    Who else do you know that will lend money free of charge (other than special promotional rates sometimes offered to attract/increase business).

If you don't pay back all what you owe, then expect the DCA to continue to chase you for payment. It may even result in a court judgement against you.

I'm sorry to say, but you will probably find it difficult to get credit again in the near future, and if you can, it won't be free, it won't even be cheap but very, very expensive.

Your actions in the past, including borrowing money and effectively doing the equivalent of a moonlight flit, has demonstrated to Halifax what kind of person you are and have almost certainly marked your credit file accordingly.

As moneyineptitude has said, you have no chance in avoiding the bank charges applied (assuming they were applied in accordance with the terms/tariff you agreed to). I really fail to understand on what possible basis you think you could.

Perhaps if you could tell us why you feel you should not pay the charges (as there is no hint in your post) we might possibly be able to assist you further.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure