Can Tesco keep my prepaid line rental?

I have been with Tesco for my broadband and phone line for a couple of years with no problems. However when I renewed my contract earlier in the year I made it clear that I would be moving within the year so wanted to check 1. That there would be no penalties when I left and 2. That I would be entitled to some of my prepaid line rental back. I was told that of course there would be no penalties and of course I could get back unused line rental. However when I called up to cancel today I was told that although there would be no penalties I would not get back any of my prepaid line rental (5 months will be unused) as this was a special offer. Is this legal? I can't prove they said they would give me some money back although as I pointed out if there weren't going to give me anything back I would have gone on to paying line rental monthly which although more expensive in the long run would actually have saved me money in the short term as I wouldn't be with them for a whole year. Can they keep my money even when they are not providing a service? Has anyone else had this problem?

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 22 September 2014 at 8:00AM
    If the T&C's say that line rental saver is not refundable, then no you can't reclaim anything. From their website:

If you leave within the 12 months of your Line Rental Saver, we’ll be unable to refund you for the months that you don’t use, however we’ll waive any early termination fees that may apply.

What the adviser may have told you is not relevant unless you can prove it.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    It's the risk you take. None of the telcos offer a refund for any advance purchase of line rental - so it's swings and roundabouts. If you calculate the standard LR you'll find your 'loss' is minimal.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure