We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Recommend some budget strawberry plants for Scotland?

Options
I'm going to plant new strawberry plants as the old ones didn't do well this year at all and wonder if anyone can recommend some online suppliers that will do them without costing too much? Under £1/plant would be good as I want around 50 or so.

Thanks!

Comments

• ljonski
    ljonski Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    Options
    Have you any idea why they failed. You do know that there are quite a few tips for growing them on Youtube plus the Mother plants need to be got rid of every 3 years?
    "if the state cannot find within itself a place for those who peacefully refuse to worship at its temples, then it’s the state that’s become extreme".Revd Dr Giles Fraser on Radio 4 2017
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can you recommend any good suppliers?
  • ljonski
    ljonski Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    edited 20 September 2014 at 4:14PM
    Options
    I got mine last year(feb) as a freebie via Homebase and Daily Telegraph. The damned things are multiplying like the tribbles on Star Trek! Perhaps now wait till next year to avoid losses with frost?
    "if the state cannot find within itself a place for those who peacefully refuse to worship at its temples, then it’s the state that’s become extreme".Revd Dr Giles Fraser on Radio 4 2017
  • wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    Options
    Perhaps now wait till next year to avoid losses with frost?

Strawberries are really hardy , never lost any to frost/snow etc.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,572 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Some varieties are more hardy than others. I lost a couple when i tried several different ones.

The most hardy i found were a variety calles "Sophie" I leave them to their own devices. Never cover in winter or anything and they always thrive.

They have lived in hanging baskets and pots etc.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Rummer
    Rummer Posts: 6,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    At this time of year Homebase often sell off their strawberry plants and last year it was 6 plants for £1 so I got loads and they have produced really well. I appreciate that approach is a bot hit or miss depending on your local store but worth a shot :D
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,853 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Believe it or not, I bought two batches from eBay sellers earlier this year and both were excellent. For the few pence they cost, it could be worth trying that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure