petrol prices -ripoff britain

Yet again we are paying over the odds despite oil prices falling per barrel who do we complain to

Comments

• DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You just have a rant and get on with life, I would expect you to have a similar rant when barrel prices increase but pump prices don't.
    I don't know why folk say rip off Britain, where are they comparing prices with? A colleague emigrated to New Zealand, she says the prces there make the UK look cheap, there is no greater employment opportunities and they are coming back.
    I went to Turkey last month, the prices at Shell was no different to here .
  • wiogs
    wiogs Posts: 2,744 Forumite
    kronas wrote: »
    Yet again we are paying over the odds despite oil prices falling per barrel who do we complain to

Write to your MP and see if you feel better
  • kronas
    kronas Posts: 408 Forumite
    On diesel prices Britain finishes in a dismal 20th place out of 22 European countries surveyed with an average price of! £1.37 a litre, compared to just 94p in cheapest Andorra – a difference of 43p a litre - and 99p in runner up Luxembourg,! £1.08 in fourth place France and £1.11 in sixth place Spain.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2651202/Rip-Britain-motorists-pay-highest-pump-prices-Europe-43p-Andorra-29p-litre-France-diesel.html

forget new zeland
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    On diesel prices Britain finishes in a dismal 20th place out of 22 European countries surveyed with an average price of! £1.37 a litre, compared to just 94p in cheapest Andorra – a difference of 43p a litre - and 99p in runner up Luxembourg,! £1.08 in fourth place France and £1.11 in sixth place Spain.....

The difference would be tax.

Eurostat have some not too out-of-date figures for the ex-tax price of road fuel across the EU.

At 0.61 EUR per litre the UK had the cheapest Super 95 (petrol) in the EU and at 0.68 EUR per litre the UK had the second cheapest diesel in the EU.

http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/statistics_explained/index.php/File:Consumer_prices_of_petroleum_products,_end_of_second_half_2013_%281%29_%28EUR_per_litre%29_YB14.png
    wiogs wrote: »
    Write to your MP and see if you feel better

Or you could write to Gideon himself and cut out the middle man.
  • kronas
    now despite the ridicule i feel smug that all of a sudden prices have started coming down ALOT later and less than they should

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-2791323/price-petrol-falling-three-supermarkets-tomorrow.html

I think my point is proven enough that we live in a society which is fixed to the point of a handful of conglomerates controlling the mass market
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    ....I think my point is proven enough that we live in a society which is fixed to the point of a handful of conglomerates controlling the mass market

The most recent round up of weekly prices produced by the Market Observatory for Energy for the 6th October 2014, confirms that the UK is still enjoying the lowest ex-tax price for petrol in Europe.

http://ec.europa.eu/energy/observatory/oil/bulletin_en.htm
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    DUTR wrote: »
    I don't know why folk say rip off Britain

Usually Daily Mail readers that just like to whine about everything. We do pay a lot for some things here, but other things are cheap... swings and roundabouts really.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • kronas
    antrobus wrote: »
    The most recent round up of weekly prices produced by the Market Observatory for Energy for the 6th October 2014, confirms that the UK is still enjoying the lowest ex-tax price for petrol in Europe.

http://ec.europa.eu/energy/observatory/oil/bulletin_en.htm

That does not wash look at the oil price even with the higher tax still a handsome profit,
    just because its the lowest in europe doea not mean we get a fair deal I dont understand why you would want to pay more than you should have to
  • kronas
    benjus wrote: »
    Usually Daily Mail readers that just like to whine about everything. We do pay a lot for some things here, but other things are cheap... swings and roundabouts really.

The main things are fuel and food everything else is relative think about what you use the most day to day transport fuel food this is where we are getting shafted the most nothing wrong with profit but needs to make economical sense not greed driven profiteering
  • Bantex_2
    Bantex_2 Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    That does not wash look at the oil price even with the higher tax still a handsome profit,
    just because its the lowest in europe doea not mean we get a fair deal I dont understand why you would want to pay more than you should have to

How much profit do you think a supplier should make?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure