🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Increase in State Pension Age

Options

Comments

• real1314
    real1314 Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    Options
    If people think politicians use lies and deception, they should read this petition to see how much the critics of politicians operate in a much less honest way.

The age rise for women to 65 has been around since the 90's
    The claim of exemptions is a complete lie (petition authors - sue me if you want - you will lose).
    The claim of excelerrating is a lie - the coalition said not age 66 before 2020 for women (possibly earlier for men) - it's 2020 for both.

What a complete load of nonsense.

I'm seriously not in favour of much of the coalitions policies, but I'm much more against this sort of deceit, intended to whip the ignorant into mis-guided action. stupid, stupid, stupid people leading the incorrectly well intentioned.
  • jiltedpensioner
    Options
    [FONT=&quot]kidmugsy, the new higher pension to which you refer requires 35 years NI contributions but even then the Department for Work and Pensions have confirmed that some workers will be denied the full amount. Despite the fact it was introduced to simplify the pension system, it's starting to look a bit of a muddle.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Yes, real1314, you are absolutely right the Coalition did promise no increase in pension until 2020 but they have broken that promise. Men and women born after 6 October 1954 will now retire at 66 years. Don’t take my word for it, there is a state pension age timetable on the government website.[/FONT]
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Men and women born after 6 October 1954 will now retire at 66 years.

Nothing new. I've been planning to take account of this change for some time.

As has been said earlier the state pension system has to be affordable. There's no magic money trees that I'm aware of.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    [FONT=&quot]kidmugsy, the new higher pension to which you refer requires 35 years NI contributions [/FONT]

Oh dear, 35 years. Until quite recently it was 44 years for men and 39 for women. Maybe we should go back to those good old days, eh?
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,363 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    [FONT=&quot]kidmugsy, the new higher pension to which you refer requires 35 years NI contributions but even then the Department for Work and Pensions have confirmed that some workers will be denied the full amount. Despite the fact it was introduced to simplify the pension system, it's starting to look a bit of a muddle. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]It's not a "muddle" at all, except [FONT=&quot]to[FONT=&quot] people who don't understand it. It's [FONT=&quot]obvious contracted [FONT=&quot]out deductions will be applied to people who've had the benefit of NI rebates into a separate pension[FONT=&quot]. Been discussed here a lot.[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    Yes, real1314, you are absolutely right the Coalition did promise no increase in pension until 2020 but they have broken that promise. Men and women born after 6 October 1954 will now retire at 66 years. Don’t take my word for it, there is a state pension age timetable on the government website.
    [/FONT]When did the "coalition" promise this? The Tories stated before the election that they planned to raise the age to 66 as early as 2016. See this article from 2009:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2009/oct/05/tories-raise-retirement-age
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,774 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    From the petition:
    By reneging on their promise the Coalition Government have denied a generation of their pension rights. This has had a devastating effect upon those women and men who have worked long and hard believing that they were to retire at 60 and 65 respectively.

Due to the timescale that this law was introduced, hundreds of thousands of us have been denied the opportunity to make any contingency plans for retirement. After working hard for decades the short notice that the changes were imposed also immediately vanquished retirement plans.
    I can't recall which party was in power when it was announced that the retirement age for women would be raised to 65 but it sure as hell wasn't the coalition government.

I've known that my state pension wouldn't be paid at 60 for lots of years.
    So talking about 'timescales' and 'short notice' is simply inaccurate.

I'm quite cross that my state pension age has recently been raised from age 63-and-a-half (which I've known about for at least 15 years) to age 64-and 9 months.
    Now that is what you could call short notice.

I really wish people who write these petitions would get their facts right.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't see why women should retire 5 years eariler than men, in fact I could argue that women should actually retire later than men (given that statistcially they live longer). However we now have equality so 5 out of the 6 years is righting a wrong.

BTW - I'm a woman.

However I do have sympathy for those whose expectations have been changed especially at short notice.
    If the power than be want us to plan financially then they need to give us the tools to do that and should only be changeing retirement ages gradually and with plenty of notice (in terms of saving for retirement).
  • haras_nosirrah
    haras_nosirrah Posts: 2,208 Forumite
    edited 14 September 2014 at 8:49AM
    Options
    Since it was announced in 1995 that the state pension age for women was equalising to 65 then I wouldn't count 19 years as especially short notice. It was then announced in 2007 that it was going to 66 - again not short notice

In 1940 when the pension age was put at 65 and 60 the life expectancy was early 70's. It is not mid 80's with many going past 100. That could mean some people spending longer in retirement than actually working. We cannot afford it

When the pension was first introduced it was an old age pension and was set at age 70 which was the life expectancy of the time. People also need to make their own arrangements and not rely on the state pension or they will be spending a 3rd of their lives in poverty
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • haras_nosirrah
    Options
    Oh and I am a woman in the 68 as a retirement age age group. What is the betting that will be 70+ by the time I get there
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As you know, anyone born after 6 October 1954 has a new State Pension age of 66 years. This is a loss of approximately £42,000 over the six years for every woman affected. I would urge you all to read and sign the online 38 degrees petition by Anne Keen. Simply google reverse the state pension law.

MPs have generous pensions paid for by the taxpayer but they have exempted themselves from their own legislation and will continue to retire early.

All these years women have fought for equality and you'd like us all to take a step back for YOU?

No thanks sister.

The original changes to women's state pensions were arranged nearly 20 years ago. And women live substantially longer than men as a whole. Sure, the extra 2 year rise was put into effect late when men's went up as well, but the cohort that fell under this were given some relief.

The fact is you are living longer, so should expect to either work longer, or save into personal and work pensions if you want to retire earlier.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport