Increase in State Pension Age

Options
As you know, anyone born after 6 October 1954 has a new State Pension age of 66 years. This is a loss of approximately £42,000 over the six years for every woman affected. I would urge you all to read and sign the online 38 degrees petition by Anne Keen. Simply google reverse the state pension law.

MPs have generous pensions paid for by the taxpayer but they have exempted themselves from their own legislation and will continue to retire early.

Comments

• Your_Hero
    Options
    As you know, anyone born after 6 October 1954 has a new State Pension age of 66 years. This is a loss of approximately £42,000 over the six years for every woman affected. I would urge you all to read and sign the online 38 degrees petition by Anne Keen. Simply google reverse the state pension law.

MPs have generous pensions paid for by the taxpayer but they have exempted themselves from their own legislation and will continue to retire early.

We all know why a higher SPA is necessary (unsustainable costs, ageing population, lower working population etc.) and so I'm afraid this won't get far.
    Stephen Covey once said that "when you teach once, you learn twice". That is the primary reason for my participation on the forums as an IFA.

Although I strive to provide accurate information in my posts, there may be the odd time when I fail. Yes I know it's hard to believe but even Your Hero can make mistakes. Apologies in advance.
  • Spidernick
    Spidernick Posts: 3,803 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Your_Hero wrote: »
    We all know why a higher SPA is necessary (unsustainable costs, ageing population, lower working population etc.) and so I'm afraid this won't get far.

Agreed and is the OP suggesting that women should retire five years earlier than men? That hardly seem equitable!
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse).

Sky? Believe in better.

Note: win, draw or lose (not 'loose' - opposite of tight!)
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Oh rubbish! It's been law for a decade and a half that women's pension age must march up to equal men's. That's the big change - that gets you to 65. So there is no "jilting" for six years. The extra, for both sexes, is to stop pensions getting even more expensive, for the reasons given by other posters. Still, you are welcome to explain to us why you are not going to reject the bigger pension that you are likely to get under the new-style pension regime.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • 27col
    27col Posts: 6,554 Forumite
    Options

The words, fat cats, pigs
    in trough, and b****y hypocrites spring to mind.
    I can afford anything that I want.
    Just so long as I don't want much.
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • greenglide
    greenglide Posts: 3,301 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options

MPs do, indeed, have a generous pension scheme but I am not aware of any legislation that they have "opted out" of.

A bit late for this!
  • Fruit_and_Nut_Case
    Options
    Shouldn't this be in Campaigns Corner?
    Are you for real? - Glass Half Empty??
    :coffee:
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,706 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    greenglide wrote: »
    MPs do, indeed, have a generous pension scheme but I am not aware of any legislation that they have "opted out" of.

A bit late for this!

also worth noting that MPs are deducted 13.75% of their salary as contribution into their pension scheme.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,706 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    SailorSam wrote: »

it is apparent from both the wording of the petition and some of the comments below it that many people involved really haven't a clue and don't know what they are talking about.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

That's only if they remain in parliament, many don't. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure