Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Best "free" antivirus

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Techie Stuff
35 replies 4.8K views

Replies

• I am currently having Avast with Immunet. Avast serves as the primary antivirus while Immunet as a secondary antivirus. Yes, I use 2 antivirus software for enhanced security and it does not slows down my PC contrary to the popular belief. My system runs smooth and without any fear of viruses. If you wish, you can try out this combination.
  • UxbUxb
    1.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Don't Barclays do Kaspersky free for customers?
  • SailorSamSailorSam Forumite
    22.8K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was looking yesterday at Sandboxie, not downloaded it yet, i want to read a bit more first. If seems it's not so much an antivirus but just a safer way of opening sites.
    Does anyone use it ?
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • bod1467bod1467
    15.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've not read up about it, but I suspect Sandboxie is effectively a PC running within a PC (like a virtual machine) ... if anything nasty happens you just wipe the sandbox and start again with a fresh version - the host PC remains untouched.
  • edited 17 September 2014 at 2:39PM
    GillorGillor Forumite
    758 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited 17 September 2014 at 2:39PM
    + for Sandboxie.

Sandboxie really is a simple and effective piece of security software, suitable not only for a novice but also capable of being hardened to quite an advanced level.

Combined with something like Malwarebytes, + Panda Cloud/Avast /Avira/Qihoo 360 + a light outbound secure firewall + a little common sense, you’ll end up with a pretty tight layer of security with minimum impact on system performance.

Run all your browsing activities in Sandboxie and it doesn't matter what junk is downloaded onto your system as soon as you close your browser it's gone.
  • Uxb wrote: »
    Don't Barclays do Kaspersky free for customers?

Only for current account holders who have registered for online banking. It is currently £35.99 a year to purchase from Kaspersky.

Kaspersky has come out tops on the latest Computer Shopper magazine Anti-Virus tests. I am looking to open a Barclays account to get it. Works out free then although a bit of time setting up the account at the bank.
  • Avast review from June 2014
    http://www.tomsguide.com/us/avast-free-antivirus,review-2208.html
    PROS: Web Shield scans Web pages as you browse; Serves as a hub for great mobile apps; Rescue Disk feature allows offline updating

CONS: Zero-day malware detection could be better; Most tools aren't targeted at general-use audience

VERDICT : Avast Free Antivirus' malware detection isn't as good as other options, but it has a good interface and range of features.

I currently use MSE from Microsoft but it is not so good these days according to the reviews
  • JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    18.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only for current account holders who have registered for online banking. It is currently £35.99 a year to purchase from Kaspersky.

Cheaper from other sources .
  • LoanrangerLoanranger Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    JJ_Egan wrote: »

Cheaper from other sources .
    Which sources?
  • Loanranger wrote: »
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Which sources?

The online tat bazaar with, erm security issues...
    I paid £14.99 for a one year 3 PC version.
This discussion has been closed.